1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Coast Bias Bowl -- Running Super Bowl XLVI Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have to imagine that spread was set on basis of getting a lot of NY money.

I agree that as money flows in that spread will come down.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I know the Patriots had a record-setting offense in 2007, but their offense is better this year in the sense that it's better suited to adjust to a defense like the Giants. Four years ago, the Giants took away the big play, which was at the heart of that offense. This year, they can't do that. It was much easier to take Moss out of the game (and the pressure was the foundation of that) than it will be to take Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez out of the game. Also, while they don't do it much, the Patriots can run out of the spread much better now than they could then.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree that they run better, but I'm not so sure about the rest of it. Sure, you could make it tougher to get the ball to Moss by pressuring Brady, but with this team, it is easier to play tight, man-to-man coverage because they don't have a guy who can do what Moss did.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Assuming his ankle doesn't make him gimpy, who on the Giants can cover Gronkowski one-on-one? Also, Gronkowski and Hernandez aren't going to be neutralized by someone grazing them off the line, as Moss was and Welker can be (although I think the Patriots are smart enough to run formations where he can avoid that).

And MC, I think the Patriots would LOVE for the Giants to drop a great pass rusher into coverage.

5. outofplace

The Steelers did it with the same secondary that made Tebow look good, so it can be done.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If the Giants can get a four-man rush, why does anyone need to cover Gronkowski one-on-one?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Giants defense shut down Matt Ryan and the Falcons and held Rodgers and the Packers way under their season average production. They didn't let the 49ers convert a single third down. So I think it's safe to assume they're better now than they were in the regular season. Way better.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ryan Clark didn't play in that game, too?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right, Giants did beat them during the regular season. I conveniently forgot about that.

I still believe the Patriots are running a far superior offense to the Giants. But it is true that the Giants have some injured guys back. Their defense is playing much better now.

Patriots have outscored their opponents over the last five games 185-98, while Giants have outscored theirs 141-67.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Giants front four allows them to put 7 players in coverage.That should be adequate to cover The Pats.
    Still think they were a more dangerous team with Moss because he could stretch the field for Welker to come under. Branch does not give them that.

Jacquian Williams has done a good job at OLB in coverage. He is agile and can play in space. He is kind of a hybrid DB/ LB. The type of LB that teams need to play the spread.

11. outofplace

Ryan Clark made a difference, but not THAT much of a difference. He rarely ends up in man-to-man coverage anyway because he isn't very good at it.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The Giants should just watch what the Ravens did. The Giants have no Ed Reed or Haloti Ngata, but the Ravens have no Osi or Tuck (two edge rushers rather than just the one in Suggs). Antrell Rolle isn't bad either.

I know it is easier said than done, but you see it time and time again with Tom Brady: make him move his feet and get him out of the pocket (or a hand in his face) and he will be off with his throws. He was average yesterday, and he was pretty average in the Super Bowl against the Giants when they used that same philosophy.

Draft saved Draft deleted