1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Coast Bias Bowl -- Running Super Bowl XLVI Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 22, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

LOL- look at this dude getting owned again.
    You do bring the funny.
    Elevated being wrong to an art form on these boards.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You have to remember that the Giants' defense that took the field yesterday is much different from the one that took the field for a good portion of the season.

Osi Umenyiora started only seven games this season and Tuck was battling a neck stinger and other injuries. Boley, who is having a great season at linebacker, missed three games. Prince Amukamara missed the first nine games of the season and has improved the depth in the Giants' defensive backfield.

All you have to do is watch the games to know their defense is better right now than the Patriots defense, which by the way, was the second-worst pass defense in history this season.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The White Sox are not a small-market team.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Giants of past five weeks are really making it seem like it's best to throw out the season-long totals for evaluation purposes, as they are just not the same team. I believe they would be the first team to win the Super Bowl after losing four games in a row during the season.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Maybe Herb can tell me, but the Giants are only the third 9-win team (since the schedule went to 16 games) to make the Super Bowl, right? The others being the '79 Rams and '08 Cardinals.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

YGBFKM, I think the Raiders team that beat the Eagles was a 9-win team.

EDIT: Wrong. They were 11-5.

If the Cowboys do their job unlike the dogs that they are and finish the Giants in the second half of the first Sunday night game, none of this happens.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My instinct tells me that the Patriots will get killed by a red-hot Giants team. But the Giants lost the Redskins twice, so anything can happen. Also, even though the Patriots are the early favorites, the consensus of those "in the know" seems to be New England is the underdog. I think that plays into Belichick's and Brady's hands.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, but I believe the 49ers won their last Super Bowl after getting destroyed at home by a mediocre Eagles team. 40-8, maybe? The same 49ers team that put up an easy 7 TDs in winning the big game.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not sure how my post would warrant such a hostile response, but you are certainly welcome to disagree with my analysis. I presumed that there would be some differing opinions.

A few observations:

The Giants did beat The Pats in regular season without Bradshaw

In post season offensive stats are comparable.

The Giants big 3 receivers are comparable to the Pats big 3.

The Giants with Bradshaw and Jacobs have better running game.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, TSP was owned. Thank you for backing me up on that. Maybe you're finally coming around after all.

:D

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Giants beat the Patriots in 2008 when the Patriots had a historically better offense. The Giants beat the Packers this season, a great offense at Lambeau, with strong defense. The Giants won at Lambeau in the NFC Championship game in overtime on a Tynes field goal -- a road victory to get to the Big Game. They won yesterday, on the road, in overtime, to get to the Big Game.

Sensing a theme here? History is repeating itself, and the Giants today are better than they were on that February day in 2008 because Eli is a better all-around quarterback with much better weapons. The spread is 3.5 towards the Pats right now but it will go down and I'd be shocked if Vegas doesn't realize that people will throw down on the Giants at this spread all day long.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

TSP just isn't grasping the fact that the Giants are playing much better now than they did most of the regular season, especially on defense. Seems like a pretty even matchup to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted