1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Carolina fires student media adviser after paper ran photos of streaker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 5, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He can always work at Deadspin.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Something's totally off-kilter here. If what you're saying is fact, the adviser was canned for following the law. But it can't be that simple. If those are the facts of this situation, somebody had to address it before these actions were followed through upon.

3. zufer

zufer Active Member

This account from a student indicates that the advisor knew in advance but may not have recognized the consequences:
    http://melinamerica.com/2011/11/14/the-balls-are-in-your-court-east-carolinian/

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Isom's attitude is a bit self-righteous. If you don't think it's a good idea to run the photo, say so. It's not a First Amendment issue to advise.

If he didn't advise against running the photos, he was derelict in his duties. An adviser's job is not to give students tools and then get out of the way, as he wrote on his Facebook page. He needs to give students practical advice.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Holy shit. Did anyone read the column linked in the Romenesko piece? Sounds like the staff at the student newspaper needs a lesson in public decency. I'm not sure Isom should have been fired, and I'm certainly not advocating censorship. But the editor(s) of that publication need to learn about the responsibility that comes with wielding the power of the press. They also need to learn that shock journalism can damage credibility just as fast as running something that's blatantly false.

6. Small state school with a small paper.
    Typically, anything controversial the editor or someone would first check with an advisor. If for no other reason than to rule out potential libel issues.
    I'm guessing - just guessing - Isom had advance notice to the photo (ahem) package.

I agree with Stitch, he failed to do his job.

7. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

small state school?

smaller than UNC and N.C. State? yes. small? not really.

27,000+ students...

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think Evil was referring to his school, not ECU.

9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, when I worked at my college paper I know that our adviser couldn't know what we were doing before it ran. The adviser only looked at the paper the following the day. She's a great adviser. I'm in complete agreement with black pompano

10. He lost his job over it. None of the three girls did. I think he wins the "flak" battle there.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I liked how the blog Pampano quoted wrote that running the photo was "ballsy". Nice, but it's not how most would describe it.

If Isom really questioned the need to do anything to the photos, he deserved to get fired.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

If the paper's procedures here rival anything like the student paper at my school, there's a chance the adviser would have no clue the photos were even about to run (our adviser was rarely if ever in the newsroom during production, especially so on a weekend). It's possible the editors may have contacted him for advice but even then he would have had no say on the final editorial decision. He surely would have been extremely critical, though, the next day.

Draft saved Draft deleted