1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

East Carolina fires student media adviser after paper ran photos of streaker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 5, 2012.

1. doodah

doodah Guest

I think it was a poor decision, but I don't go to ECU. If it was big news to the students, maybe it made good coverage. In my opinion, if it was an attractive woman who ran onto the field and this ran, nobody would be complaining.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you really believe that last sentence, you have a lot to learn about media and the public. Job shadow the cops reporter in your town and you will learn a lot about the limits of what should be printed.

3. doodah

doodah Guest

That being said, I wouldn't have ran it either way. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's fair, and please don't think my disagreeing is anything more than that. It's just agreeing to disagree, nothing personal, and it makes for a good discussion. I don't think I'm completely right and anyone else is completely wrong.

I still believe, however, that if it was an attactive female streaker baring all in the photo, these 3 top female editors wouldn't have run it in the paper.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's because penii are funny looking.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

When I was in college, we had almost this exact same thing happen. A streaker ran onto the field during a football game (D-III), and our photog got a picture of the guy - but it was from behind, so we had a bare buns shot.

Adviser told us he didn't want to use it, but he left it up to us. We did use it and ran it on the front page. The administration loved it. They actually had it made into a giant poster board and they use it at some recruiting events. A copy of it was placed in a frame and put in the student union too. Go figure.

FWIW, our adviser was a Pulitzer winner.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Settlement reached:

http://www.splc.org/news/newsflash.asp?id=2370

Draft saved Draft deleted