1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Easiest college football coaches to deal with

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sjm5131, Mar 19, 2008.

1. This is not a bad idea. Call the PR people at networks like Big Ten and ESPN and ask for guys like DiNardo and Jim Donnan. I've had good luck with this before, especially -- and perhaps surprisingly -- with ESPN. These guys also aren't coaching anymore, so they'll probably speak a bit more freely.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

ESPN will generally bend over backwards to help you when it comes to lining up their talking heads.

I had great luck a few years back with a number of their more notable college hoops guys (no, not Dickie V).

3. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Heard Coker speak once at a quarterback/touchdown club once and talked to him afterward. good guy.
    Met Beamer at a golf tournament. Didn't even realize it was him in the cart behind me for a second.
    Paul Johnson is the best. Has great stories for on the record and off the record.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Leavitt? No way. Maybe he is different in the offseason but the way the guy answers questions on the weekly call and after games is awful. Maybe a nice guy out of season, but I find him a frigid and lackluster interview.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

jfs - there's been as much sarcasm as seriousness on this thread so I have no idea if the Leavitt answer was real or not. Never dealt with the guy.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

No, I was serious. Like I said, I've never dealt with the guy, but I have been told by people on the beat that he's thoughtful and easy to talk to. I assume game week (when he's all business) and postgame (when he has no voice left) might very well be different, but this is the offseason. If anyone has some firsthand knowledge, please share with the rest of the class.

Draft saved Draft deleted