1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Easiest big-city airport to navigate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SportsHack1818, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Denver

Vegas

Minneapolis

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The renovation does make a huge difference -- you no longer feel like you're at Tom Nevers Field when you're in the terminal. But for a relatively small airport, it still seems like you do a hell of a lot of walking, which isn't a problem for my ownself, but the last time I went through I had four small children with me, so that was more of a hassle.

Midway, also being relatively small, is always extremely packed (Southwest has something like 3 million flights a day out of there). Arrive extra-early for the TSA lines. And for the long walk from there to your plane.

That said, I still far prefer Midway over O'Hare. The obvious reason -- Midway is closer to my house. But if you're going downtown, you can hop right on the Orange Line and get directly to the Loop, while at O'Hare you have the Blue Line (if you succeed in finding it), which is a longer trip, and has fewer stops downtown.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

One more favorite for me (in the smaller airport category)- Reno. Won $1000 on a Wheel of Fortune slot just before flying out of Nevada. And they say never play the airport slots...

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Tampa used to be great.

Orange County wasn't bad, but it's worse now.

Seriously, as a destination airport and not a connection, I've had few problems at LAX.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Pittsburgh definitely, as long as you don't check your luggage. They have "street pricing" on everything, in other words they can't charge you 5 bucks for a bottle of water. And free wi-fi. The X terminal means you don't have far to walk. The rental car area is across the street. I can land and be home in less than 15 minutes if I hit the tram right.

I hate Minneapolis, only because it's such a hike to get to the rental car counter. I was in Houston recently coming back from Mexico and hated that experience because it's 5 miles to get to customs. Detroit's NWA terminal is nice and they have the nifty monorail if your gate is at the other end of the terminal, which mine inevitably always is. I was in Tampa recently and thought it was very nice too. The Southwest terminal in Orlando is great, because all the gates are grouped together nice and compact.

For ease of in and out....Huntsville or Birmingham, Alabama. Also Burlington, VT. I love those little international airports, but unfortunately I always have to connect in Charlotte, which I really don't care for, especially terminal E which I think may actually be in South Carolina.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Fort Myers?

I didn't know that you were a Cessna pilot.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet...

Ontario Airport outside LA is hands-down the easiest and best airport in the world. Never a weather delay, and plenty of parking right outside the door.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Ontario is now very nice, although you do have to take a bus to the rental car area. The old terminal, though, was a dumphole.

9. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

San Diego, Lindbergh Field. Everytime I fly in, it's a trip. You fly over Hwy. 5 and the cars are literally only a couple of hundred feet below you.

10. Kable

Kable Member

I totally agree. Last weekend, I was there and it was really easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted