1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Easiest big-city airport to navigate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SportsHack1818, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

JFK is a dump many international flights -- it's also brutal to get to in any sort of traffic.

Heathrow is a dump -- over a mile to walk to the train station. They are also way too crapmed and crowded on transfers.

Lisbon had a nice airport, as did Amsterdam.

MIA could be the worst airport in the country in terms of concessions and access to rental cars.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

worse access to rental cars than MSP? ? ? ?

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

I think it would be awfully difficult to land at a subterranean airport.
    But we get the point.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i think whatever your home airport is, you're ok with, because you know what to do. i've counted some of the ones i've heard as worst here as home airports and i've been fine with them. and others i've heard as good, i hate, because i wasn't as familiar with them.

and there's also different levels of airports -- departure/destination and connection. i can see why someone would dislike mci for connection, but love it for departure/destination. and someone else mentioned the dreaded c terminal at cvg. ugh. damn bus.

5. da el g

da el g Member

Tampa also, easy to get around and not far to downtown and the causeways for beach access

besides JFK another horror is Dulles in DC, have to ride these modified half track vehicles to the terminals, food sucks and it is an hour from anything

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Gosh, you aren't kidding. I swear I walked a mile and a half to connect. Jeebus.

7. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Detroit gets my vote as the best... my least favorite is Memphis followed closely by O'Hare.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll also add that Miami is the only airport in America where I've had to pay sales tax for a fucking newspaper. And yeah, the food sucks ass too.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The three airports I've flown from most often in my life -- St. Louis, Atlanta and K.C -- have got to be among the easiest in the country. STL is literally on I-70, so the toughest challenge is getting your bags and getting to the car. KCI probably isn't considered major now as some of you have said.. but it's still easy. And it helps that the fam lives like 10 minutes away. And while Hartsfield may be the busiest airport, only the biggest mental turd couldn't figure out how to get around there. And it gets bonus points for having both the train and the Jetsons-style walkways if you want to stretch out the legs before a flight.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And just a few years ago, DTW was described as a third-world airport...

FAVS (No order)
    Detroit
    Vancouver
    Nashville
    Midway
    Denver
    Fort Myers

WORST
    Memphis (arm pit of America)
    Minneapolis (shopping, good; distance from gate to some terminals sucks; rental car, worse)
    O'Hare (any and all)
    Logan
    Atlanta (dirty ass airport)

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I liked Tampa's. And I'm a fan of Nashville's. Memphis is awful and I hate KC's. I used to hate Midway, the last time I was there, it was held together with cardboard and duct tape, but that was a renovation thing. I've been told that it is really nice now.
    No love for National? Hop the metro and you're anywhere you want to be. Got to love not having to rent a car

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Best -- Pittsburgh
    Worst -- Tie between DFW and Atlanta

Draft saved Draft deleted