1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

EA's NFL Head Coach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nafselon, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Dynasty99

Dynasty99 Member

Of course not. But they could make a lot more money on this idea if they put it in a madden and then people got a taste and were like "damn that shits good, I want some more." But it still could be a good game.

2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

First off, I doubt this game will be $50. At least for PS2, games haven't been that high since the announcement of PS3. And they'll continue to be lower, because game sales are lagging as everyone waits for the next-gen to hit the market.

As for the game itself, I'm pretty stoked about it. If you can do the stuff they say you can do - particularly with the gameplanning aspects - then this is the game for me. I'd rather do all that than the actual playing of the game. I've bought Madden once in the last five years and played it occasionally for two weeks before getting rid of it. (Though, strangely, I love NCAA.)

My dream is that five days I sit down to play this game and am immediately able to fire Marty Mornhinweg.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

And the Madden spirits have already begun by taking out Ben Roethlisberger.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Problem is, people are already going to shell out $50 for the Xbox/PS2/GC versions and $60 for the Xbox 360 version already. If you integrate this Head Coach game into Madden, you're either going to have to essentially give it away if you don't change what your charge, or risk losing people if you defy the gaming market and charge like $70 and $80. The $49 price point for name new releases has been established for a good while now, and the $59 price point is likely going to be the standard for new next-gen releases. Nobody goes up on it unless they pack in their own controller (they tried with Madden and Halo 2, and maybe a few other games, to do a "collector's edition" that had some extras and retailed for $10 more, but that didn't work).

Also: I don't think EA "chose" to downgrade their 360 games in an effort to boost them for the 2007 series; the first year of a series on a new system is usually fairly spartan compared to current-gen offerings because they're still getting the hang of programming on a new machine. I don't think EA wants to produce sub-par versions of their games if there's any chance someone like 2K Sports can take the early lead on a new system by offering a better product (you laugh, but this is essentially what happened when 989 Sports made a serious run at EA's football dominance with GameDay/GameBreaker; in particular the early versions for the PS1 played much more fluidly than the Madden/NCAA counterpart, but they didn't keep improving, then they got pwn3d by everyone after shitting out the dreck they did on the PS2, and now Sony doesn't produce sports games).

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Great Post M_M.
    Sega, Take Two, and Visual Concepts along with ESPN had a great game in NFL2K5. One that I'll proudly say was better than Madden's version for the year. It was faster, more realistic in regards to running and passing, and the graphics were awesome. I even had Madden and kept going back to ESPN's game.
    Sure EA as all of these mini games but for one, I don't care how much to charge for food, tickets. It just seemed EA spent too much time on non-football items like that instead of pumping up the graphics.
    2006 is a little bit better I must add. I like the big truck stick for the offense, the passing cone can be tedious at times but after a month I have it down pretty good. Considering I spent two years with JP Losman and his needle, playing with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning was a walk in the park.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'll probably pass. Maybe rent it. If it was $30, I would think about buying it. Actually, what I'm hoping for is when Madden comes out, they drop the price on HC or offer a deal for the two games together like Best Buy does from time to time.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

EA used to incorporate a head coaching aspect into every game, but it was terrible.

I'll go out and rent this game a few times before I even think about buying it. I just wish the 2K series was still around... :'(

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Good thing there is action replay, so I can continue to download the updated rosters for 2K5. I refuse to buy Madden, will never happen, but I'm interested in the Head Coach.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This is just the NFL version of soccer's popular "Football Manager/Championship Manager/Worldwide Soccer Manager" series. That series is without a doubt the most addictive gaming experience I've ever had. I mean that in a bad way.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Just imagine the 2k series on next gen.......

Draft saved Draft deleted