1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earthquake in Southern California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And the fires... and the mudslides.... and the smog?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

By DOUG FERGUSON
    AP Golf Writer
    CHINO HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Tiger Woods' knee injury didn't cause as great an earthquake as the one felt in Southern California on Tuesday.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fires, yes. Those are pretty dreadful. Won't deny it.

Mudslides, irrelevant. Only affect very specific areas on the coast and, frankly, I don't make enough money to live in one of those houses (even though I live on the coast.)

Smog ... ehh, overrated. People coming to visit me have noticed it a lot more than I ever have. If it comes to smog vs. the suffocating humidity of the South where I grew up ... give me smog any day.

I'd rather deal with all of those periodically than going through tornado season EVERY spring or hurricane season EVERY summer or ice and snow EVERY winter. But hey, keep touting the dangers of living in Cali. CNN is freaking out today. I'm just amused.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it is quite amusing.
    I've lived in SoCal in the death grips of smog and in the South in the death grips of heat and humidity. Give me the smog any day. Not even close.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In Rancho Cucamonga, you already know what to expect ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Simon_Cowbell

I think that that is VERY telling.

I guess you don't want me tossing the "equivalent to x packs of cigarettes a day" line at ya...

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jeezus Buck, do you work for the California tourism board?

8. Simon_Cowbell

It's interesting that people visit you and notice, though.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Very well played.

Called my dad in Loma Linda and couldn't get through on the cell, but the landline worked fine.

Texted my son who is at a cross-country retreat in San Diego, but haven't heard back yet.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nah, just love living out here, that's all. ;)

And always amused that people in other parts of the country get so freaked out by the prospect of living in an area with fill-in-the-blank disaster-goes-here.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

People always notice what's ... different.

Yes, there's more smog here than the Midwest or Southeast or most other places. That makes it noticeable. Does that make it dangerous to live here -- or as unhealthy as smoking a couple packs a day? Don't be silly.

12. Simon_Cowbell

I'll leave it at that ... Doc.

Draft saved Draft deleted