1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earthquake in Southern California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Glad none of you guys were hurt. I'll still never get why any of you live there.

To quote Lewis Black, "Where I'm from, the Earth doesn't quaketh."

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sister-in-law in Rancho Cucamonga e-mailed and they did the duck and cover as well but all is well. Still waiting on a friend in Corona.

3. Zsaji

Zsaji New Member

Buckweaver: Yup, I just thought the biggest was the one worth mentioning... Also expecting the aftershocks to continue for a few days.

It's been a while since we've had a good-sized one like this. Now that we know that it didn't cause much in the way of damage, I'm going to feel free to enjoy the excitement. ;)

4. MileHigh

Really? Have they been there long? Were they there for Northridge? I've been through a good handful (Whittier, Upland, the Big Bear-Landers doubleheader, Northridge, etc.) and I'm sure all of those shook a lot worse than this one did, though, to be fair, I'm not out there, but as Kate Hutton is saying, this is a moderate event.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm amused by people in El friggin' Segundo calling in to CNN and acting like this was the biggest scare of their lives. My god, you're in El Segundo!

6. MileHigh

Maybe it's because they're living in El Segundo.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, where I'm at, it won't get hotter than 74 degrees today and won't get colder than about 65 tonight. I can take a little rumbling every couple months to offset all that humidity you deal with (and the ice in the winter.) ;)

8. MileHigh

Oh, don't rub it in to him. :)

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, it was a pretty good shaker. No doubt.

But I think you're overestimating how bad this thing really was. Like I said, it's VERY common for quakes in the I.E. to be felt as far and wide as Vegas, San Diego and LAX. I can see 5.8, but 5.4 sounds about right too. If that's the worst they've felt in Century City, clearly they weren't around for Northridge in '94. This was nothing.

MileHigh: Can't help it. Should have told him it's a living nightmare every day, and to stay where the ground doesn't shake, for his own safety. Living in California is terrible. ... Yeah. That's what I meant. ;)

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I detest winter. Give me 100 before you give me 30.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Or they left their wallets.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Doug Ferguson

Draft saved Draft deleted