1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earthquake in Southern California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 29, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Anything that goes through that much territory and mountains and is felt in Vegas, San Diego, etc.
    It had to be more powerful.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not really, markvid. 5.8 is still pretty good.

ALL of these moderate quakes in the I.E. are felt from Vegas to San Diego. I've been through 7 of 'em. It's not that uncommon.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But it wasn't very deep (only about eight miles), so that could explain why it was spread out so far. Plus, a 5.8 is a pretty good shaker and for it to be felt as far away as is being reported really isn't surprising.

4. MileHigh

And USGS has indeed revised it.

To a 5.4.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ha! USGS just downgraded it to 5.4, according to CNN.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Why don't earthquakes get names like hurricanes do?

7. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Gannett Editor: "Is she a minority?"

8. MileHigh

Well, all in all, sounds not too major. A good shaker to keep your senses. No major damage. Of course, it'll be all over TV the rest of the afternoon.

9. Zsaji

Zsaji New Member

They're also saying there was a 3.8 aftershock, which I didn't feel out here by LAX.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. That's about the extent of it. No major damage, at least from anyone I've heard from.

Friend in Rancho Cucamonga just texted me. Said he "got to duck and cover, and everything." We both lived very, very near the epicenter until a few months ago. Eerie.

Zsaji: They said there were about 15-20 aftershocks, and the biggest was 3.8. We didn't feel it down here near S.D., either.

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

My boy who works for J.P. Morgan (formerly Bear Stearns), said it was awful scary in that tall building. A bit of a sway.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I am surprised it's down to a 5.4.
    A few people I've already talked to in Century City said it was the worst they've ever felt.

Draft saved Draft deleted