1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earnhardt Jr. signs deal with Sony

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Jun 22, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

EDIT: updated version, in case anyone else deepinthehearta NASCAR country was going to make a big deal of this ...

<NO1>BC-CAR--NASCAR-Earnhardt-Sponsor, 1st Ld-Writethru,0403-ZZTO<QA>
    <NO>Dale Earnhardt Jr. signs with Sony for Hendrick ride<QA>
    Eds: SUBS throughout to remove INCORRECT references to Sony being Earnhardt’s primary sponsor and on his
    car.<QA>

AP Photos<QA>
    By TOM GARDNER<QA>
    Associated Press Writer<QA>
    OAKVILLE<NO1>, Calif.<NO> <NO1>(AP)<NO>— Dale Earnhardt Jr. has signed an endorsement deal with Sony
    Electronics, but he still isn’t saying what role longtime sponsor Budweiser will have with him when he joins
    Hendrick Motorsports next season.<QA>
    “I’m a big electronics fan. I’m a big computer guy. It’s products I can dig,” Earnhardt told reporters
    Thursday at a winery in the heart of California’s Napa Valley. He will be competing on Sunday in the
    Toyota<NO1>ZZTO<NO>/Save Mart 350 at Infineon Raceway in nearby Sonoma.<QA>
    His deal with Sony is a personal services contract that gives the company use of his name, likeness and voice
    for promotions. He also has a similar deal with Budweiser that will continue next year, regardless of what’s
    on his car.<QA>

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dammit. I was hoping he'd sign with Sorny.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

P'shaw. It's Magnetbox or nothing!

4. jennafryer

jennafryer New Member

Halt. I just read the story and am working with desk to make MAJOR corrections to it. Sony WILL NOT be his primary sponsor.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yes. Noticed the rewrite on the wire.

Pretty significant change there. We were about to tear up our front.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Who's driving the Panaphonics car?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Jenna, thanks for coming on here and saving everyone the pain of tearing up their front pages for naught.

Kind of like the Bud ad ... "I'm changing my number to 6.7 ... ... ... ... ... Just kidding."

8. jennafryer

jennafryer New Member

Sorry about the confusion. My heart dropped when I read the lead. And kept dropping as I read on. Called NY instantly to get a fix out there. Hope it didn't screw anyone up too much.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Uh-oh ... my current shop isn't as NASCAR nuts as my last one, but deadline has come and gone.

Wonder what they've got (night off for me) and how many calls we'll get for whatever was originally there.

10. Sam Mills 51

I noticed. I know the editor who oversees the newsroom is a realist, and won't hammer anyone in sports.

Problem is, the readers don't care about internal workings. They'll just want someone's scalp any way they can get it. I'm sure it wasn't centerpiece here (some silly little thing in some field in Omaha got that spot) but it probably got good play somewhere.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

At least we know Sony has some cash lying around; it hasn't all been thrown into the PS3 pit.

12. Sam Mills 51

There shouldn't be much reaction. But if you've dealt with the type of NASCAR fans I have, they interpret any error or slight as "another reason you hate NASCAR."

Draft saved Draft deleted