1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earn the Silver Star, get demoted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cadet, May 3, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

An 18-year-old Army medic was awarded the Silver Star for sacrifice to save others. Then she was demoted because, as a female, she shouldn't have been in a combat situation anyway.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/30/AR2008043003415.html?hpid=topnews

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I read that story and was outraged as well, but I don't think it's accurate to say she was demoted. She has the same rank and was just moved to a non-combat area.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. The thread title made me think they lowered her rank.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I say good for her. She earned a Silver Star and they moved her out of a combat area where she's likely to get killed or wounded.
    Sounds like a win-win to me.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Most military members I know instinctively rush TO the fight, not AWAY from the fight. While there was no change in her rank or pay, to be removed from the action could very well be interpreted as a demotion. In addition, with the way "combat zones" now include marketplaces, residential areas and roadsides, the concept that they "moved her to safety" is debatable.

To make a comparison to our industry: It would be like reassigning an award-winning football sideline reporter to the production truck for the entire game because only men play in the NFL.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry, but from an ex-military man perspective, there's nothing in being removed from a combat zone that bespeaks demotion. And believe me, her service record certainly won't show it as such. I don't agree with the decision, but this action isn't akin to a demotion.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm no military expert, but I always thought that time spent in a combat zone enhances the chances for future promotion. So keeping women off the battlefield would seem to hamper their career prospects.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not necessarily. Regardless, though, the rule is what it is. I don't like it, but thems the breaks.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I'm shot, do I really care if the medic is a woman or is gay?

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The counter, of course, is, if you're a sustainable, demonstrably-proven moron in this administration, you get a pat on the back and a medal.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

The whole effin place is a combat zone. She may not be in immediate danger anymore — and our military policy is still not to have women on the front lines — but there's no loss of pay or stature. She very likely is still getting hazardous duty pay, separation pay, whatever else pay. Sure it helps to have combat experience to move up, but this day and age, all you've got to do is hang in there long enough and they'll promote you.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Cadet,

PFC Brown was a medic serving in a cavalry unit, in which women are not allowed to serve (right, or wrong). Her battalion commander (a lieutenant colonel) knew that, and if he didn't, he's a moron. As is her company commander and platoon leader. As a graduate of the Army's medical platoon leader course (I am a Medical Service Corps officer), I can state with 100 percent confidence that the regulations clearly state that females cannot serve in infantry battalions, cavalry regiments and squadrons and field artillery battalions and batteries.

Females can, however, serve as support elements that are inorganic to those units, such as translators, military intelligence, military police, transportation and other combat service support roles. Just not medics due to the closeness of their relationship to the combat units.

And, DanOregon, you're right. I don't care whether a person is male, female, hetero or homo, just patch the wounds.

Ben_Hect, your words serve for nothing but to incite and bring nothing to the discussion. Napoleon once said, "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."

Draft saved Draft deleted