1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earn .003 per word as an editor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I saw this and burst out laughing. This guy is offering .003 per word for editing, and has the nerve to demand that whoever takes it doesn't give subpar work because the money sucks. Oh, and the pay is based upon the minimum word count, without any extra pay for additonal words.

https://www.elance.com/j/long-term-editor-needed-per-word/54373472/?utm_medium=partner&utm_source=indeed&utm_campaign=paid

Commence mocking/crying.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So $1.50 per article plus you have to pay the elance fees? (Not sure I did the math right. It never was my strong point).

We should all apply for it and then tell the guy to fuck off.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

So for a story with a minimum word count of 1,000, you can make a maximum of $3? Is that right, or can I not use a calculator correctly?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Moving to Anything Goes ... but do feel free to keep trashing this "job." Effing ridiculous.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is it .003 cents or .003 dollars per word?

That's a hundredfold difference. It's a huge deal.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Can I get a gig editing the ads placed on elance.com?

And I'm tempted to apply for that gig, just spellcheck whatever is sent and send it back.

7. Baron Scicluna

I read it as 3/10ths of a cent. As in, for 500 words, it would be $1.50.

Yeah, but from what the ad says, the minimum word count could be 1,000 wods, but if the writer wrote 2,000 words, you'd still get paid just $3.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That's where you read just the first 1,000 words and stop

9. Baron Scicluna

But, but the editor is demanding high quality work despite the "pay".

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've told my family more than once that if I ever get desperate enough to look for work on elance.com or odesk.com, they are to immediately shoot me in the head.

It'll either kill me or sufficiently lobotomize me so that I'll actually be qualified to get work on one of those two sites.

11. Baron Scicluna

I actually signed up for both sites. When I saw I had to bid for projects on Elance and Odesk had a bunch of halfpenny per word assignments, I stopped perusing those sites pretty quickly.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, it's worse than ridiculous. I perused both sites and quickly saw enough to convince me to not bother to register.

Draft saved Draft deleted