1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Early Season Beat Writer Change at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EagleMorph, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

EDIT: Colin Dunlap is leaving the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette for family reasons, as he detailed below.

colin_dunlap
    Sportswriting, you've been great. But today I decided I'm going to chase other things -- and more important, spend more time w/ my twins.

Should be interesting to see how the PG handles it. Do they try and make do with the current staff, since the Pirates are expected to eventually tank here and lose close to 90 games? I would assume if they go that route that they'd open the gig in the winter.

Or do they try and poach someone like John Perrotto to fill in for the time being? Considering trades are always a possibility, I would imagine finding someone with connections would be a major priority.

Also, how often do major paper beat changes occur mid-season? I can only think of Chico Harlan at the Washington Post, but maybe others have gone more quietly in the last few years.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is surprising. I'm wondering if he was offered a radio job.

3. That sucks for us. Best of luck to him though.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Expected to tank? That's still up in the air?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Second half of the season, the Pirates manager calls the games in and the desk puts together a story.

6. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Eh, they're hovering around .500 with a pretty young core. It's a little out of the ordinary. Usually this time of the year, they're hanging around .500 with a bunch of castoffs. So there's some hope within the city that they might stay around this level and take a step forward.

Of course, there's also hope that a magic ray will turn all of the Pittsburgh women into Perfect 10s...

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Awesome. You'll hear him pull the phone away from his face to ask an assistant how to spell names, and when you ask him about the opposing team's stats, he'll say his stat girl forgot to do them.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"I got 'em but I don't have the players' names, just their numbers..."

9. LemMan

LemMan Member

"We play the Giants tomorrow...if you guys can send someone, that'd be great."

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They never have the score of the JV game either.

EDIT: Oh, it's the Pirates ... they are the JV game.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

"By not covering us you're costing our guys scholarships to the Yankees and Red Sox!"

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The thread title put an image in my head of the sports editor glumly looking toward the preps writers, sighing once, then tapping his keyboard to signal for the change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.