1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Early deadlne-palooza!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Occasionally we will go a half-hour or hour early if there's a significant enough storm (that was true in the upper Midwest as well as here in the Pacific Northwest).

I do sympathize with our drivers, because they typically are delivering papers in the overnight hours, then going to work at a daytime gig.

And when there's snow or ice, it's like a bumper car scene around the printing facility.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

11? That would be a 2 1/2 hour game. I'm thinking more like midnight -- maybe even later.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Alabama is in the Central time zone. I suspect Pencil Dick is too. Midnight or later is a better guess for viewers on the East Coast, which I suspect includes you.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Gotcha. You'll have to excuse me, I'm one of those east-coasters who sometimes forgets that another world does indeed exist outside of the east coast 8)

5. printdust

printdust New Member

The Alabama papers will all cut the deadlines two hours, have no print coverage, then bitch at week's end about why projected rack sales were through the floor.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm early tonight, regardless.

1) Our paper being hyperlocal, there's no flexibility for the BCS game. It'll finish after 11. Deadline's 11. Not hard to do that math.

2) Even if I did have some flexibility, someone didn't honor my request to have a second page for Tuesday, so I would have run out of room for it anyway.

I'm already done with the stuff that happened over the weekend (We don't print Sunday or Monday) and there are no events in any sport in my area tonight, so I'm turning in my page and going home. At 6 p.m. (Hyperlocal also means no NBA, NHL or college agate to stay in for).

No one said a word about the snow. In fact, it's let up some since I got in to work.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We're an hour early tonight for tomorrow, and tomorrow for Wednesday. Deadline is now 10:45, and our new guy is lead designer tonight.

8. mrudi19

mrudi19 Member

Our copy deadline is 8:45 and pages are due at 9:30. It's really rough, local sports, except on Saturday's cause stuff is going on during the day, never gets in the paper and always goes online. We just have to run a photo and have the score. Luckily, we're in the mountain time zone, so we can get some of the east coast stuff in.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To top everything off Monday night, I heard the AP lead on Auburn-Oregon was late, and bad.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

We have early deadlines Christmas Eve and New year's Eve at 5 p.m., but sports can have standard deadline (11) if necessary. Our publisher is quite understanding of us needing the big games in spite of a hyperlocal paper. We don't hardly ever use the 5 p.m. deadline because surely something is going on late.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I sure do.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We closed at 6:00 p.m. Monday because of hazardous conditions and I watched the game from home.

Calls complaining that was didn't have a game story = zero to my department or to the editor.

We're in SEC country, but keeping our people safe was the primary objective.

Draft saved Draft deleted