1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Early deadlne-palooza!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 9, 2011.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Share your early deadline stories.

We're sending last page at 8 p.m. tonight (Sunday for Monday) due to threats of wintry weather ... perhaps 6-plus inches of snow forecast for North Mississippi.

A guy I know in Tuscaloosa says they're going at 6:30 p.m. due to concerns about ice.

How about you?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We get moved to 10:30 p.m. if a severe winter storm comes through.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Active Member

Heck, my local community paper (where I was once SE, long before this debacle started) has an 8 p.m. deadline EVERY NIGHT.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

When my old paper went to a regional copy desk, our deadline for Friday night football games was something like 10:30 -- or about 15 minutes after returning to the office from the game. Hell, what was the point of even going to the game then anyway?

Oh yeah, now I remember -- so we could put the full story on the web for free, after putting just the bare bones of it in the paper. Of course!

5. Ice9

Ice9 Member

Two years ago I covered a high school hockey game on a night when drop-dead was moved up to 9:45 pm due to daylight savings time. Sectional semifinal, started at 8. Sent a few graphs every goal and after every period. Game went into overtime, and ended five minutes after the deadline. Newspapers rule.

6. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

This past New Year's Eve we were supposed to have an 11 p.m. deadline. With bad weather forecast and it being a semi-holiday with only one semi-important thing to wait on (the Chick-fil-A Bowl), it was decided to bump the deadline up to 8.
    Turned out to be a good move. At 8 p.m. we were in between storm systems, one of which produced an F2 tornado about 50 miles away, and the weather was clear. Around 11 p.m. another batch of storms rolled through and we were under a tornado warning.

7. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

This past New Year's Eve we were bumped down to 10 p.m. I normally would not complain except every year this area has a huge basketball tournament. This year two local teams made it to the finals. Tipoff was scheduled for 9 p.m. but didn't start till about 9:30 due to the girls' final running long. So we had no mention of the boys game in the paper and we caught hell for it. Our publisher ask me what the problem and I told him the early deadline hurt us and when he asked who made that call I told him you did, before Christmas. Thankfully, I'm still employed.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sounds like a peach of a boss to work for.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, based on that story, he actually might be decent if he A) didn't fire littlehurt and B) learned anything.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Last year during Feb. blizzard deadline was moved to 9:30 p.m. Only one prep game was on the slate that night and I had to cover it. Driving was dicey at best, but I got the game early before the snow really started coming down. Game got over at 9 p.m. Filed some game details and box via Blackberry. Called in quotes.

Probably 6 inches of snow on the car when I got out of there. Driving sucked hard, but there were no cars on the road so there was plenty of room for error.

11. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

three papers here. monday for tuesday deadlines willl be 3, 4 and 6. yipee!

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Birmingham was going two hours early tonight, but that was as of Friday night. Don't know if that's changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted