1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earl Webb joining Hammerin' Hank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Jul 3, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Eh. Let me know when someone approaches Chief Wilson's 1912 triples mark. Wilson hit 36 in 152 games with the Pirates. Granted, it's a different time now with smaller parks and changing emphases, but it's still been 77 years since anyone's hit 23 (Adam Comorosky, also with the Pirates, in 1930).

Maybe more impressive, it wasn't until 1985 -- 55 years since Comorosky -- until someone hit 21; Willie Wilson did that, and Lance Johnson followed suit in 1996.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That might be why many consider it the most exciting play in baseball.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Curtis Granderson to the white courtesy phone.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

If rarity and running are what make it exciting, than the inside the park homer gets my nod. Bloomquist's homer against the Astros that caromed hard off the fence in left center and ran uphill toward the flagpole--that one's gonna stick in my memory for a while.

The claim was that Bloomquist dove for the plate, but it looked like he collapsed toward it to me.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Yep. Granderson's 15 is pretty impressive, but that's really a pace unlikely to continue, just ask spnited, who knows about these things, has said.

But, for the sake of a dream finish to the season, let's entertain this: single-season doubles and triples records fall in the same year that Bonds sets the all-time homer record. That puts the single-season marks for hits, doubles, triples and homers all within a 10-year stretch. And I'm not sure that Reyes won't break the century mark for steals. Of course, he'd have quite a distance to go to reach that record.

While looking at single-season records, I happened upon Ryan's single-season strikeout record. It appears that Schilling, Pedro and Randy Johnson are the only active guys to come within even 100 of Ryan's modern-era mark (383). Should we expect anyone to break that record? I'm not sure it's likely in the next few years. There are some great hurlers out there, but nobody compares to these boys.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

If Felix Hernandez is a fair example of a young hurler with great potential--the current caveat with him is devotion to fitness, but he improved exponentially this year over last year and hopefully the trend will continue--if he's an example, the answer is no. He's learning, and prefers, to use his two-seamer to set up his breaking pitches, and he prefers groundouts. Somebody implanted that idea in him along the way; strikeouts are fun, groundouts are practical, so a preference for groundouts ain't natural.

Further, no organization is going to allow a pitcher to throw 326 innings as Ryan did that year. That record seems as remote to me as 500 wins.

When android arms are allowed, maybe...

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I tend to agree. In the five-man rotation era, it's not likely that anyone would come close to 383 Ks. You'd need to average about 11.5 per start and have about 34 starts. Johan had 34 starts in 2004 and came away with 265 Ks. That's about an 8 per average. So a guy would really have sacrifice outs and favor the heat to even come within reach. And, the key is that he'd have to be pretty damned good with the heat. I think that's what made Ryan so incredible...guys knew they were getting the gas.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yes.

But tenant plays there 81 games a year.

9. Simon_Cowbell

I meant that if the same player matchups could happen over and over again in each of the ballpark, the true measure could be taken.

Of course, that can't be done.

Nooks and crannies don't really matter regarding doubles (obviously they do for triples). Once a ball reaches that nook or cranny, before it ever touches, it should be a double for anyone.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Wrigley's corners play very deep.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Reyes is on pace for only 81... but if he steals 3 today he'll be on pace for 86, so you never know.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Don't see anything wrong with "on pace for". Mostly it shows what an incredible clip someone has been operating at.

Draft saved Draft deleted