1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earl Campbell can barely walk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 6, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He's hoping a new spinal procedure will get him out of the wheelchair he's tooled around in for the past five years:

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I didn't know he was in a wheelchair.

I hope the procedure works. Sounds like he's already making some progress.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Skoal, brother!
  6. nibs price

nibs price Member

I see Earl once or twice a year, and his condition has saddened me for a long time. To see someone who was once the epitome of athletic prowess reduced to this sucks.
  7. Simon_Cowbell

His part of a very non-exclusive club among former NFL players his age.
  8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Didn't Tiki Barber mention the condition that Earl Campbell was in as a potential reason for his retirement?
  9. Simon_Cowbell

I don't think that Campbell ever had a serious leg injury, did he?
    But his back certainly integral to his success.
  10. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

He did, and as much as I loathe Tiki, he did the smart thing.

I saw Earl at a Touchdown Club event about two years ago. It took him about eight minutes to reach a table that most of us could reach in about 45 seconds. To remember how big a bad ass he was 30 years ago, it breaks your heart to see him reduced to this. To his credit, he has no regrets and always is in good spirits. Hopefully this procedure will add some years and reduce the pain in his life.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

A lot of football players point at Earl Campbell as the reason not to stay in the game too long. Particularly offensive lineman, fullbacks who crash into people on almost every snap and power backs that run like Campbell did.

It's terribly sad. On top of his ability on the field, he's always come across as a pretty good guy and not the sort who had his nose stuck up in the air.

Hope something good happens for Earl medically ...
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Earl Campbell wasn't hobbled because he stayed in the game too long. He was hobbled because of a bruising style coupled with overuse. He ran the ball more than 300 times his first four years and five of his first six. It was 360+ three times.

Campbell was basically used up by age 26. He had one strong year in his final four.
Draft saved Draft deleted