1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E.T.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 22, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Saw this movie again the other night on HDNet Movies. Still a great movie, and definitely my favorite movie from my childhood. I think I went to see it eight times in theaters. It actually stayed in the first-run theater in my hometown for a year (remember those days?). Anyway, two observations and one question:

* E.T. has been CGIed since I last saw this movie. He looks like a cartoon at times in the new version.

* I had forgotten that the blonde girl that Eliott kisses is Erika Eleniak of Baywatch and Playboy fame.

* What the hell does "sinus supremus" mean? Eliott and his friend go back and forth with insults: "Zero charisma!" ... "Sinus supremus!", and on and on. I never heard that before or since watching E.T.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Penis breath.

Seriously, still love the movie. But I remember how awful the Atari game was.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

E.T. and Star Wars are the last movies I remember staying in theaters for a year.

To this day I've still never seen E.T. But I saw Star Wars about 8-9 times the year it came out.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I was a rotten child: I hated E.T. I was the only 10-year-old in the audience rooting for the government. I still hate that movie.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I kinda go back and forth.

Who knows what we might have learned if we spirited E.T. away to Gitmo and beat the living crap out of him?

We might have learned to grow oil plants, dammit!

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Someone told me that Spielberg has made a few changes to the film and some of the Un-PC comments Elliot and his brother made to each other are gone. I'm not sure if that includes the brilliant "Penis breath" line.

I think the government workers are also not carrying guns anymore. Idiotic.

I think I saw this movie at least five times in the theater. Remember, it wasn't released on video until 1988 or so.

Christ, I'm old...

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I believe penis breath has been removed. Police all had walkie talkies digitally inserted to cover their guns. God forbid a police officer carry a weapon. ::)

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Spielberg is a whore.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I have fond memories of seeing E.T.

I may not watch many movies, but that one I have seen!

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This pisses me off.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Geezus! Next thing you know, they're gonna be dickin' around with Star Wars!

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Penis breath was still in the version I saw.

Draft saved Draft deleted