1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E&P story: Sports whiffed on steroids story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Del_B_Vista, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I fear I'll d_b with this, one of the downsides of the different boards, but I thought this was a Journalism Board issue. Joe Strupp has an Editor and Publisher story on the steroid story coming out, and this story teases it from their Web site.

No bombshells in this blurb, really more general self-flagellation about the issue, but some pertinent quotes:
    And ...

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Why didn't E&P uncover this thread from SportsJournalists.com?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/27926/

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes, we should have put more speculation out there.

What sense does that make?

That's disappointing, coming from Olney.

4. Jesus, this idiocy will never die.
    I'd like to thank Pearlman, Rosenthal, and Olney for flagellating themselves on behalf of the rest of us.
    Throw speculation out there in order to bring out "firm discoveries"?
    And this would differ from blogs how?

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for the the E&P story that goes:

Political Journalists: We totally fucked up the entire story about the Iraq War, and most of the Bush presidency

6. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

The responsibility in the way it's presented here doesn't lie on the Rosenthals and Olneys of the world. Wouldn't this have been the duty of the screaming mouths on sports radio?

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Those quotes show an appalling lack of self-awareness, and leave no doubt why they 'missed' the steroids story.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

100 percent agree, and have from the get-go.

Yeah, I suppose those in the business could have "tried harder" to unearth steroid use. But lacking a smoking guy -- or very questionable reporting and writing -- I think the only benefit would have been for everybody to feel better about themselves in hindsight.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If Buster had submitted steroid-speculation stories at the responsible newspapers he worked for before ESPN, the only person who would have been ordered to have drug testing would have been Buster.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I have heard this before.

My question is this - exactly how would you uncover this story? Walk up to Roger Clemons and ask - "Can you tell me details about your steroid use?" Direct players to take tests for steroids?

When Ken Caminiti and later Jose Canseco came out and admitted steroid use, people questioned it. Both of them said something like half of players used steroids, and that was viewed as an exaggeration.

I once covered a local agency which was really corrupt. I challenged them on a couple of issues where they closed meetings. Everyone in the city told me it was corrupt, but I couldn't get the smoking gun. To get that sort of story, you usually have to find somebody who is really knowledgeable and knows where everything is buried. You also have to have editors who will be supportive - in the case I had, it was a fairly poor city and the agency wasn't like the city council or board of ed, and the attitude was "So what?"

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

What they could have and should have written/talk-radioed about: testing.

You didn't have to know that anyone in baseball was using them--just that other sports were testing and use among kids was widespread. You didn't even have to speculate that anyone in baseball was taking Vitamin S ... just take the line that MLB should test its player to demonstrate that the sport is as clean as it purported to be. And if MLBPA fought against a testing initiative then you could speculate about the reason for foot-dragging.

Not salacious but totally fair.

YHS, etc

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Testing is a joke. It doesn't work. The NFL is proof of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted