1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E&P story on editors 'struggling' with furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Hell, they ought to be doing that in the weeks when they're getting paid. It would be more productive than a lot of ways they spend their time, such as meetings, figuring out which ink-stained wretches should "star" in the new Web videocasts and searching for their next cushy gigs on TheLadders.com.

I'd have a wee more respect for a lot of the bosses if they actually got their asses out of the offices and glass suites and spent some days working as their troops worked. I'd rather they come armed with anecdotal evidence, flawed as it might be, in place of "focus group" findings and readership surveys. Maybe carry your photographer's equipment to his next shoot, and converse in the drive time.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Eh. I read it online for free.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

You go, girl!

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, um, if you're going to furlough me ... and refuse to pay me for a week ... I'll be damned if I spend that week doing anything that could possibly be construed as work.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I, too, was captivated by this story, which was on par with "homer" sports journalism.

How about writing about the journalists that can barely make ends meet and now see their pay cut even more? How about writing about the journalists that must fit a 40-plus hour-work week into a 32-hour time frame? How about asking readers in a community with a furloughing newspaper what changes they've noticed in the product during this stretch? And whether they really care?

What a waste of what could have been an interesting angle.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Life is hell when you can't check your BlackBerry, you have to cut your time on the driving range from three hours to two hours a day, and you can't afford new sails for the yacht.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The fact that yacht is singular is heartbreaking enough.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"Now Lars can't buy the shark for his gold-plated shark tank. He needs to wait another month."

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Only if they happen to work in Hawaii.

If, on the other hand, they happen to work in Rochester, losing a week's pay isn't exactly incentive to book the next flight to Honolulu just to stick it to the man.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What about a story about alternative careers one can explore with a journalism degree?

11. curious what different companies allow people to do work-wise during a furlough

can you write for AP? can you string for another paper somewhere?

i'm sure they'd be reasonable and understanding during such a challenging time for all of us

12. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I know some people who already have done their furlough that timed it to happen during the same week as a high school state championship was going on. They spent the week at the event, which they normally cover for their paper, freelancing for other papers around the state.

Draft saved Draft deleted