1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E&P story on editors 'struggling' with furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I first saw the title of this, I thought it was about how editors were having problems with covering news because of furloughs. Which in these times, is a very newsworthy topic. Nope.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003949706

Instead, its about editors who are struggling to adjust to not checking their e-mails, or their Blackberrys while they are on furlough. Is E&P kidding us? They don't write about papers struggling to cover events because of the cuts, or even worse, how staffers are dealing with losing a week's pay.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's all about the "calling," the sense of duty and, for editors of Gannett papers, showing corporate how dedicated they are, even when we've got a big, barbed ramrod sticking us from behind.

Let's romanticize this profession right into oblivion.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

“I didn’t contact the office, I didn’t check e-mail, I was able to take a real vacation,” said Karen Magnuson, editor of the Rochester (N.Y.) Democrat and Chronicle, one of the many Gannett Co. papers ordered to institute one-week furloughs. “This is the first time. It was a strange feeling because I am so into what I do for a living.”

I'm so into what I do, too. When I'm getting paid for it. I make no apologies for that.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I gagged halfway through that. My god, interviewing the management fucks and making them seem like heroes. How bout the reporters who got scooped during their furlough and how they still got reprimanded for getting scooped.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would you like to provide some names or maybe write a story about those poor souls? Make fun of the stupid story if you want, but don't make up fantasy crap.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If you don't think missing a full week has and will cost some reporters scoops you are mistaken. And from my experience in this business the readers will blame that reporter and management will blame that reporter who, if he/she is smart, will be sipping drinks on the beach in Hawaii.

7. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Oh, so they're suddenly worried about the wage and labor laws?

Nice way to tackle the furlough issue, E&P. Real hard hitting. Fuck E&P.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Every day I get calls from readers complaining about "scoops" we missed.

The mayor calls and wonders how in the world we didn't see his "oriental massage" bills on his expenses.

The basketball coach screams into the phone flummoxed that we haven't reported on his star player driving a Bentley.

The school principal calls in tears, wondering why his pedophile teachers don't even get posted on a poindexter thread.

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

This was the journalistic equivalent of a fan reaction story.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Granted E&P is written FOR editors and publishers, but you'd think an editor on furlough, instead of leaving the state, would spend some time in the community, walking around, hanging out in coffee shops, engaging people and trying to get a different perspective of what is going on in the community.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If that's who I think it is, I suspect a lot of people in the D+C offices (plus some no longer there, and not by choice) wish she'd stayed away longer.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I remember when I thought E&P was good and worthy of a subscription.

That was a long, long time ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted