1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E&P piece criticizing 1990s baseball writers for not breaking 'roids stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Dec 17, 2007.

1. SwingAndAMiss

SwingAndAMiss New Member

While I understand the sentiment of some here to defend the writers around during the early days of steroid use, I have to say that as a teenager just entering college in 1990, I was shocked even then that there wasn't more made of Dykstra's obvious code-speak when he talked about "special vitamins" helping him bulk up. There was something to investigate there from a reporter's standpoint, yet the Philly guys really let Lenny slide. Now that I'm in the business and hear some vets wax poetic about the "Macho Row" days, I get the distinct feeling that Dykstra was given a big, fat pass because he was quotable, amusing and treated the regular beat writers OK if they treated him OK.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A couple of things on this E&P hatchet job:
    1) "But then a funny thing happened: Instead of being praised for discovering a questionable act by a baseball star in the middle of a record-breaking season, Wilstein was vilified."
    The story continues but has no examples of the vilification. It makes a blanket accusation against sportswriters with no evidence. Was Wilstein the target of snide remarks or threats from fellow reporters? If so, please say so.
    2) If you're going to accuse reporters of shoddy reporting, it might help to make an accurate identification of the employer of the best known academic on the subject of steroids. That would be Charles Yesalis of Penn State, not the University of Pennsylvania.

Draft saved Draft deleted