1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E&P piece criticizing 1990s baseball writers for not breaking 'roids stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Dec 17, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As I mentioned earlier, reporters brought this on themselves by issuing mea culpas in the first place. NOBODY (except maybe Boom) was accusing the media of missing the story for the very reasons everyone on here seems to be stating. But the mea culpas were the price that had to be paid so that reporters wouldn't sound like hypocrites when they attacked Selig et al for "ignoring" the issue.

2. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

As I've mentioned when this topic has come up before, I asked several prominent players on teams I covered about steroids in the late 90s and early 2000's. They all said they'd never seen any, never taken them, didn't know any who had.

Two of those guys wound up being named in the BALCO case. One of them had told me in no uncertain terms that he was upset with players who did use steroids because "they're taking short cuts and I'm spending all day the gym.'' I actually believed him, he seemed so indignant about it.

So people were asking questions. But the answers weren't always truthful. People lied. There's not much you can do when that happens, without any physical evidence. Doesn't mean all baseball writers were asleep at the switch. If I'd been able to force people to tell the truth, I would have. I did try, and I'm sure many others did, too.

3. He's a tool. A couple of years ago he wrote some flippant lede about how almost all sports writers are jock-sniffers and star-struck jock wannabes. It wasn't thought-through at all. It was used to introduce a glowing piece on his one shining exception - Rick Reilly. You could tell by the way he wrote it that it was just kind of ingrained in his thinking: Sports writer = Toy department jock groupie.

Tool.

4. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

Perhaps it's just obvious to everyone, but no one is mentioning it. Much of what Mitchell has in his report -- the stuff on Clemens and Pettitte, the stuff on Brian Roberts -- could never make it into a newspaper. There's not enough evidence to satisfy a newspaper's lawyers. The BALCO reporting had documents and multiple sources for everything it stipulated. So even if reporters had $20 million to spend, legions of trained investigators who could spend thousands of billable hours and a couple of knuckleheads with sentencing recommendations over their heads, they still might not have had enough to go to press.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is a very good point. Most of the evidence wasn't enough to put in a newspaper and it isn't enough (in most cases) to even bring disciplinary action.

Much like Balco, however, when the investigators/feds determined that they didn't have enough, the next best thing became making public as much of the so-called evidence as possible.

Just a different type of punishment, unfortunately one without due process or any recourse.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

cranberry, Maybe some of what you are saying is true. But the Feds didn't use the Mitchell investigation because they don't have enough to go into court. They used it because they don't have the resources or desire to prosecute guys who used steroids. It has NEVER been a focus of theirs. Since this hit the FBI's radar screen in the late 80s/early 90s, the policy has always been that they were going after suppliers. They don't have the time or money to go after every little user they have the goods on. They are nothing cases that aren't worth their time. Before anyone jumps on what I just said, that doesn't mean everything in the Mitchell report would hold up in court. I have no idea who they have who they think they could convict, and who they have who they think the case isn't that solid. But the point is moot. They have never had any intention of prosecuting any of these guys -- including the guys they have very good cases against. And given that they don't have the money and resources to go after them, they were all too happy to use Mitchell to exposes them (what you said, but for the wrong reasons). There is nothing illegal about that and it served a purpose in many people's eyes.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd much rather a paper get Pulitzers for exposing corrupt politicians, dangerous products, child abuse, stuff like that. Fuck, let's have some perspective here.

8. Ragu's concept of being gone after by the Feds remains somewhat limited.

9. The Big Ragu

It's not a concept. Show me one athlete they have indicted for steroid use (answer is zero). The only thing I'm limited by are the facts of what the Feds have and haven't done (indicted suppliers they have caught; not attempted to prosecute the users they've snared in the process).

10. If the Feds come to a player and say, "Give up your supplier or we'll fuck up your life," the player has been "gone after" pretty effectively. Prosecution is not the only metric.

11. The Big Ragu

This applies to anyone, though. Don't do something illegal and the Feds have no leverage with which to make you cooperate.

They can still prosecute you for having done the illegal thing, though, and they haven't been prosecuting steroid users. That was the point. They either don't have the resources or they know the public has no stomach for those sorts of prosecutions. I'm not sure what the point is, though. When they do the "Give up your supplier or we'll fuck up your life" threat, they are treating the players the same way they treat any other smaller fish who can net them a bigger fish who broke the law. It's kind of how law enforcement gets evidence that can garner convictions. How many people have gone to prison because the cops scared the shit out of a lower-level co-conspirator and got him to cooperate?

12. Actually, the correct formulation is "Don't do anything the Feds can construe as illegal.."

Draft saved Draft deleted