1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E-mailing results

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Nov 18, 2011.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

A little off topic but has anyone had their web guy develop a submission form for the website to submit results?

We're going to try and do one for basketball and wrestling this winter after we used an online form for basketball questionnaires and I had so many coaches compliment me that it was a lot easier than sending a hard copy and faxing it.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

We had one for youth baseball/softball results a few summers back, and it was fantastic. We just printed them out and rewrote into twice-weekly roundups.

The only shortcoming was not making all the text boxes required, so we still got a lot of incomplete information.

That was pretty much all text though, not box scores.

Our preseason questionnaire is an e-mail template so the coaches can just hit "reply" and type into blank spaces under each question. That didn't require a programmer at all.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting a coach to file a story for me. I'm expecting to receive results and prepare them to place in agate in the least time-consuming way. Cutting and pasting from an email saves me a half hour of retyping swimming agate from a fax or PDF. I guess I could just delegate that to my ASE. . . . oh wait, we eliminated that position in March and it's never coming back. There's a finite amount of time between when all these events end and deadline and one person to do everything that needs to be done in that time.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I started to write one thing...then realized WHO I am dealing with! LOL
    How deep are you going into the agate? I always believed that a meet with less than 4 teams merits only a list of winners (same goes for track). Bigger meets (5 schools and up) can go top 3 places. That saves a lot of time as well. But at least with PDFs you can copy/paste and then find/replace a lot of crap out to make it close(r) to useable than handwriting it out.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

For football and basketball, I run a box score with the coach calls, so I need to hear from them in person. Hockey normally just drops off one of the carbon copies of the scoresheet. Other sports can e-mail in, though if I'm in the office, I'll certainly talk with them.

A lot of the technological stuff just hasn't worked its way up here yet. Only one of my HS programs uses Maxpreps (and he doesn't do his FB stats until looking at the tape), and though several of them do highschoolsports.net, normally it's just for schedules. I don't get many faxes anymore, but for one example, I have a swim coach who scans the scoresheet and e-mails it to me as a .jpg, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Draft saved Draft deleted