1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E-Bola

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think it is only a matter of time until all US carriers discontinue flights to some of the infected countries.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

While it's unclear if this is what happened with the patient in Dallas -- he already had a U.S. visa, and had quit his job -- and many in the infected countries are desperately poor, I think we have to realize that for people with the means, who realize they have been exposed to Ebola, their best chance at survival is to get to the United States.

The guy in Dallas took his friend to four different hospitals, only to see her get turned away from each one, and die within hours after returning home.

Her brother died only days later.

If this guy lives, it will only be because he reached our shores.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It did in The Andromeda Strain.

Just sayin'.

4. YankeeFan

Nigeria has a couple of non-stop flights, but Liberia, Sierra Leone and the Central African Republic do not have any non-stops to the U.S.

The guy in Dallas traveled through Belgium. You'd have to deny boarding to passport holders from the infected countries, and I'm not sure they could get away with that.

If we keep issuing visas, we're going to have to hope the people working in foreign airports are vigilant about denying boarding to anyone with even flu-like symptoms.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Should have been more specific, they will stop selling tickets to anyone in those countries, no interline, no code share.

6. YankeeFan

It's pretty easy to cancel a flight.

But, I don't know if they could just decide to not sell tickets to people from certain countries -- at least on their own. I suppose the government could order this, but short of that, I would think the airlines would get into some trouble if they tried to do it of their own volition.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bad optics .

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Last I heard he was too weak to talk on the phone. He'll be lucky if he makes it.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

People are denied entry into countries because of health concerns all the time. Yellow fever is probably the most common.

There's an ongoing public health emergency right now regarding polio transmission, and there are at least a dozen countries requiring a documented vaccination within the previous 12 months or they'll quarantine you right at the airport.

11. Boom_70

True but again the optics don't work for this one

12. Boom_70

Kinshasa is such a fun word to say. If you can work it into cocktail party discussion, you
    sound really smart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.