1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E-Bola

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I presume you mean the same CDC whose budget has been slashed by sequesterization.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But articles I've read also say it could be sweat. So let's say someone with
    the virus drops a glob of sweat on bannister is an escalator that you are riding.
    You touch this sweat and then unknowingly touch you lip. Would that put
    you at risk?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why bring up politics? This has nothing to do with politics.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There have been a little more than 7,000 cases - almost entirely limited to three poverty-stricken African countries - since the outbreak began 10 months ago.

Compare that to the H1N1 outbreak from a few years ago. In its first two months, it infected nearly 20,000 people in the U.S. alone.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I understand. Please don't mistake me for an epidemic panicker. I'm the farthest thing from it. I just don't understand how this thing spreads, even to this degree. I come into contact with one person's bodily fluid's. My wife's Sometimes my 1-year-old's, but even then, not into my mouth, ear, or an open cut.

I'm surprised this spreads, even to the degree it has, without sex.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Lot of leading epidemiologists on this thread.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The national news won't stop with this until everybody is full-fledged panic mode.

8. Dick Whitman

I thought that you had given up your everybody-is-stupid-here schtick since your bosom buddy left/was booted.

I don't think anyone here is posing as an expert. It's been in the news. I think we're all fully capable of understanding the basic science needed to process what's being discussed here.

9. MisterCreosote

It spreads mainly in countries where healthcare workers don't take the proper precautions and populations bury their own dead, and without first-world waste management infrastructure. None of those are an issue here.

Also, it doesn't spread until a person is symptomatic. Once that happens, chances are the infected person won't be able to move much, period, let alone wander around spreading infected fluids. At very least, they'd be very easy to spot and avoid.

10. Dick Whitman

I was driving with my wife the other night and she made some little Ebola comment.

I said, "You're worried, aren't you?"

"No."

"Yes, you are. I know what kind of things worry you, and I know exactly how you bring it up when you're worried."

"I'm not worried."

"Yes, you are."

"OK, I am."

"A lot?"

"Just a little."

"Tell me the truth."

"OK, a lot."

"You know that's irrational, right?"

"I know."

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Dick, I am smart enough to admit when I don't know shit about something.
    Haemorrhagic fever is one of those things.

12. MisterCreosote

I work in the medical field, dealing almost exclusively with infectious disease research and surveillance. Happy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.