1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E-Bola

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Surprised there is not a thread on this yet. I just heard about it
    this a.m. and did not realize that it has become a global issue
    and that there is a case in the USA.

Anybody concerned?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A good piece to read if all you've heard is hysteria thus far.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/1/6880393/ebola-virus-outbreak-disease-myths-facts-debunked-america

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand how it's spreading if it's not airborne. You'll read stories about how someone was at a party or a funeral, and 10 people got it. How?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but: It is not airborne.

Viruses mutate all the time. But never before in the history of the world has a virus mutation resulted in a change in its method of infection. Never.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Best to stay 6 feet away from an infected person:

it takes direct contact with bodily fluids to transmit Ebola. Blood, vomit, urine and diarrhea from very sick patients are highly infectious, but other body fluids like sweat, saliva, tears, semen and breast milk are also risky.

Direct contact means that the fluids splash or spray into someone else’s mouth, eyes or nose, or enter the bloodstream through cuts or breaks in the skin.

People can also contract the disease by touching infected fluids and then touching their eyes or mouth. The virus does not spread through the air, unlike measles or chickenpox. And Ebola does not invade healthy skin, so merely touching secretions does not mean an infection will follow. But washing hands or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer is essential after any potential contact, to avoid spreading the virus to other people or to one’s own eyes or mouth.

Ebola does not cause respiratory problems, but a cough from a sick patient could infect someone close enough to be sprayed with droplets of mucus or saliva. Droplets can generally fly about three feet, so people dealing with anyone who may be ill are told to stand at least three feet away, preferably six. Being within three feet of a patient for a prolonged time, without wearing protective gear, is considered direct contact, Dr. Frieden said.

nyti.ms/10nlont

6. Boom_70

I think we've all seen the movie before. Hapless world health officials tell us not to worry and cite specific reasons why things won't happen and then they start happening.

The stories out of Dallas are anything but comforting.

7. Dick Whitman

I don't believe that it's airborne. I'm just surprised at how it spreads this quickly if it's not.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's not spreading quickly.

9. Boom_70

[​IMG]

The official spokesperson for the CDC said not or worry. That's good enough
    for me.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Start panicking harder.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Have you been in contact with the blood, mucus, vomit, urine or feces of someone with ebola?

If no, you are not at risk of infection.

12. Dick Whitman

I'm surprised it spreads without sex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.