1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E:60

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Oct 16, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I like Schaap, too. I really dug his piece on Bobby Fischer's decent from childhood prodigy to elderly douchebag from a couple years ago.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yup. Great story, and a fine job of keeping himself from throttling the senile old f&!#er.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's what impressed me most. Here's a recap of the event for those who missed it.

http://dailyscorecard.blogspot.com/2005/04/bobby-fisher-appears-rails-against.html

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That last line? Game over. Scoreboard.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That pretty much sums everything up.

6. silentbob

silentbob Member

Didnt see it. Forgot about it.

But I was kind of turned off on in when I heard Schaap talking on the radio about the show's first major story dealing with the broken relationship between Cecil and Prince Fielder. Schaap said, "Cecil talks for the first time about ... " ... Which is a lie. Cecil talked to Sports Illustrated months ago.

7. Mark

Mark Member

I didn't see the show, but I do think Rachel Nichols and Jeremy Schaap are better than most at the Entirely Self Promotion Network.
    These guys weren't impressed....

http://www.slate.com/id/2176125/

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very interesting point about Northwestern High in that story.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Or, since its Bobby Fischer, checkmate

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Checking out the latest episode, taking the City of New York to task for bulldozing a park to build the New Yankee Stadium which will force kids living next to the old park to walk 20 minutes to some of the new parks being built to replace the old park. The high point was Bloomberg telling the ESPN reporter to "get a life" when he was questioning the wisdom of taking a park away from poor residents and giving it to the Yankees. (They wouldn't do this to Central Park!). I didn't buy the story's argument. I keep waiting for this show to break some real news and with the number of high-profile journos ESPN has hired in the last year, the WWL just isn't coming through.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Didn't see the report, but Filip Bondy wrote about that in the NYDN months ago. I'm pretty sure he's done a couple columns about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted