1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E:60

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Anyone catch ESPN's new "newsmagazine" show tonight? [I haven't seen any threads on this.]

Just watched it. Pretty interesting. As a journalist, I liked the cuts of the group discussing the dynamics of each story.

Topics: Cecil Fielder-son saga, the high school football rape case in Florida, Jason Ray UNC mascot, and the Bill Simmons EA Sports segment.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I didn't watch it, and I don't think I ever will. I just don't think a group of writers talking about why a story is awesome is riveting....

But then again, I HATE BUDGET MEETINGS.
    Sorry, that's what it looks like to me, if I am wrong, please quickly correct me.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I was watching a preview of the debut today at the gym on whatever show used to be Cold Pizza, but couldn't hear anything. Did Cecil give a reason why he and Prince no longer speak?

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

It wasn't particularly riveting. I think the average joe isn't going to care about the hacks discussing the story, but as a journalist, I thought it was a different perspective to see on TV. On one hand, leave it to ESPN to allow journalists to become "part" of the story.

Cecil says Prince wants nothing to do with him, and last time Cecil went to the ballpark to try to see his two grandkids and son, Prince's wife told Cecil he had to ask Prince for permission just to get a photo of the grandkids. Cecil: "That's when I made up my mind I'd never go see my son play in person again. ... He's crazy."

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I was looking forward to watching it until they promised that Sports Guy would make an appearance.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He has a face voice for radio writing.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No, he doesn't.

He does have a face and voice for working at White Castle.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I skipped that part.

The story on Ray was well done, though I think the E-ticket version made more of an impact. (Not sure I'd feel the same if I hadn't read it first, though.)

9. The sections where the reporters sit down and talk about the stories seemed too artificial to be riveting. You know this isn't what goes on when the cameras are off, and the reporters didn't even seem too interested in what each other had to say.

10. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

i thought the first episode was pretty good. enjoyed all the stories, even simmons', who I normally can't stand.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, felt forced and like bad actors acting interested

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Cheesiness aside, it was even more concerning that the reporters were inserting opinion before the story was even presented. Isn't this the show that the ESPN ombudsman said would bring more respectable journalism?

Very disappointing, because the production meeting scenes and overproduction (note: tearful piano music does not need to be omnipresent to create drama) took away from some good stroies. The Miami Northwestern statuatory rape story seemed to have a few more questions left to answer. I'd rather have 5 more minutes of that story than the "ooooh! journalists on the run!" intro.

Draft saved Draft deleted