1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E:60 . . . every week there's some very good stories, and some fluff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think the show was a lot better when it started than it is now.
    Repeating some of those bits and calling it a new show is just lazy on their part.
    But I will say this - when they hit one out of the park, it's way out of the park.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I enjoy the show. It's different at least, so give ESPN credit for that.

The newsroom stuff is unnecessary, as others have said, but most of the stories are pretty compelling and well-done.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i like it for the most part.

it's not the story selection but the production quality.

some segments are like art films.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I really enjoyed the Demarcus Ware piece. With all the NFL players in the police log every day it's nice to learn about one who is a great family guy every once in a while. Not earth-shaking news, but there's nothing wrong with a soft feature. I never knew anything about Ware before but now I do so therefore the piece did it's job.

5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Absolutely.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pretty good E:60 tonight. Good story on the pro-amateur status of a couple volleyball players, and a really cool feature on my boy Chris Cooley.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup. The NCAA piece, I thought, was REALLY good. The Anthony was eh, and Cooley's was insightful as well. Dude seems like a really cool guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

Agree with you guys on the NCAA pro-am piece. I'm interested to see if there's any fallout from the NCAA with that Cal player who, from the way the feature presented it, is even more "professional" than the girl from Oregon State.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Just checking ... does the end feature on the International Wife-Carrying Competition qualify as "fluff?"

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

the pro-am and cooley pieces were excellent. the anthony piece was a cliche.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As someone who has knocked the show - I give their production values a big thumbs up. They had a story on tonight (11/10) about a blind kid in Kansas who plays football (nose tackle) for his freshman football team. What really made the piece great was they had the kid ask the questions of his mom, his grandpa (what did you think when you found out I was going out for football), and his coaches and teammates. I've got to say, it was very, very effective. I imagined it with the correspondent asking the questions - just wouldn't have been as good.

Draft saved Draft deleted