1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

E:60 . . . every week there's some very good stories, and some fluff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I might be confusing who Tejada contacted (was it AP?)... If I am, sorry about that.

The point is, when Tejada had his moment of conscience, the print entity 'scooped' the folks who originally got the story (by virtue of the fact E:60 is a weekly show). I get the feeling the 'grandstanding' as you call it, was the "getters of the story" trying to let everybody know who originally got it.

And a reminder, Farrey writes the story-- he would have little control over how it's promoted.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

No one's taken any shots at you, err, Farrey at all.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

You may be right about E:60 wanting to show that they were the ones who originally got the information, but regardless of why they did it, I think the ambush was unnecessary and over the top. Uncovering that Tejada lied when he was a teenager just isn't a big enough story to present it that way, first getting Tejada to lie about his age and then pulling out the birth certificate. And I would think Farrey, whose work I normally admire, would have some say in how the interview is conducted.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Outing alert:

Lugnuts is Tom Farrey. [/BoobieMiles]

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm not going to disagree with you on this, Alma, because I think it's a fair point to make. Smith is good for reporting stories, not doing a 60-minute expanded format that E:60 is.

I felt Smith rebounded a little bit this week with the story of the TCU star battling depression. The only negative I took out of it is that I wished the topic was discussed more. What I mean by that is: interview the players who played with Barrett Robbins, Demetrius Underwood, Ricky Williams, and ask them what was the original assertion of their teammate, did they know what their condition was, and how do they feel about mental illness in sports? There is no comparison of any kind, but sports' attitudes toward homosexuality and mental illness ranks right up there in topics that athletes either don't want to talk about, or are very ignorant (intentionally or not) towards.

I've battled depression while I played sports in high school and I've been around sports most of my life. It has intrigued me on how does someone try to compete at a high level while trying not to fall apart mentally.

Just my three cents worth.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm just missing them or what, but does E:60 do any tough stories anymore? I don't know if they've ceded the actual journalism to Outside The Lines and is just doing soft features on sports personalities and the weekly heart-tugger.
    I saw the 60 Minutes story on concussions and football and wondered why I hadn't seen that on E:60. I would have loved to have seen them dig into the Randy Hanson-Tom Cable/Mike Locksley beat-downs.
    Is it because they run these and re-run these through the year so they try and stay away from anything that could be dated within weeks?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought E:60 was great tonight. The story on DeMarcus Ware was heartbreaking. Just awful. Takes a tough man (and a tough woman: his wife) to go through what they went through.

Also enjoyed the hell out of the story about the guy who can re-create just about anyone's batting stance. Very cool story. I mean, who didn't grow up mimicking people's stances? I know we did.

I've seen the bullfighter story before, though. Seems like it was on ESPN at least six months ago.

8. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I also thought it was good tonight, but, generally speaking, I also have the same question DanOregon does.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of digging going on, for the most part. For a show that presumably is trying to be the sports version of 60 Minutes, it's a little weak. But it's still probably the second- or third-best show ESPN does.

9. Sneed

Sneed Guest

A lot of you are fantastic critics. Really know how to do everything better. They should hire you instead.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You're awful defensive ...

11. Maybe it was last season that I saw it, I can't remember when, but Rachel Nichols did a story about toxic gases in ice skating rinks where one guy ran her out of his rink who had extremely dangerous levels of something in his rink that had caused a bunch of kids to get sick weeks before.

It was an informative piece that asked some tough questions.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe I just misunderstood why ESPN launched the show. I figured after they went on a talent-hiring binge they would be digging into the nooks and crannies of the major sports enterprises and really breaking national news.
    There have been a number of stories (the coach on trial for the football player's death, Rush Probst, concussions, old players celebrated on NFL Films living on peanuts, the baseball scout kick-back scheme, coaches beating up assistants) that I would have expected ESPN to blow them out.

Draft saved Draft deleted