1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DWTS, Brett Favre and a lot of terrible journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 11, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I was just going to post this, too, glad I, you know, looked at the thread titles first.

I'd say it's very scary, but frankly, it's the way things are right now and something we all have to live with and guard against.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Great deconstruction by Shanoff. Nice to see him point out the Bleacher Report guy might have been the best behaved as the rumor made its way down the line.

4. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Minor masterpiece—as much of a one as you could get from a series of clicks, anyway. Excellent cautionary tale; everyone in journalism should read it, especially everyone who blogs and tweets.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the wonderful Daily Howler breakdown of the terrible, terrible journalism done in the name of the "Al Gore Says He Invented the Internet" meme. A really good read if you've never seen it. Scroll down to "Where does Spin come from?"

http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh120302.shtml

At least in the case of Favre and DWTS, there are no real world consequences, unlike Gore.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's what passes for journalism these days.

Hope no one got fired for failing to report that Brett Favre was being considered for DWTS.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I wonder if Mike Wise retweeted it.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Solid.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's funny that most of the denial stories make it sound like ABC would never stoop so low as to let Brett Favre on it's beloved dancing show.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I found it ironic that this line appeared in a story about reporters always getting things wrong:

"Reporters knew that Gore had been the leader, within the Congress, in developing what we now call the Net."

So, essentially what the author is trying to say is reporters always get things wrong and are always wrong, except for the one time that they knew Al Gore was creating the internet.

Except the author went on to say that later in the news cycle, reporters passed incorrect information about Gore. So really, what the author is saying is, reporters always get stuff wrong except for 1/2 of the times they are talking about Al Gore and the internet.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's an excellent breakdown. A reason why I always want to know sources on rumor stories. There may be hope for BR yet ...

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

After all, DWTS had Lawrence Taylor on a few years back, and several more of the so-called celebrities have been in trouble with the law or on the pages of nudie magazines.

Draft saved Draft deleted