1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dwight Howard to the Lakers in a four-team trade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think the Nuggets should be ecstatic to get Iggy.

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Understand why the focus in on Howard-to-LA, but the Sixers quietly come away with the best player in the deal, Bynum. If they can keep Bynum and if he stays healthy—two big ifs, obviously, but with Bynum being a New Jersey native it is not implausible he stays—Philadelphia can be looked at as an Eastern Conference contender for the first time since the peak of the Iverson era.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The best player in the deal is Howard.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Very true. And Bynum strikes me as a guy who won't respond well when the team has lost 4 of 5

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. clintrichardson

Did you see Howard and Bynum play each other last year? I would take Bynum. And if anyone is going to question Bynum's "maturity issues" they clearly have blinders on when it comes to Howard.

The best things for Howard about this deal is that it gets him close to his back surgeon, and on a team where he if he's not in the mood to try hard there's plenty of other guys to pick up the slack.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Oh, Howard is an idiot as well. But he's an idiot who has led a team of pretty average players to the NBA finals and 50 plus wins the past 5 years.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate the Lakers and always have, but if this is enough to prevent LeBron from getting another ring, I'll be happy...

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Strangely for a NorCal guy, I like the deal. It brings attention to the Lakers, which means the West Coast in a way. Gasol and Howard should dominate and will enjoy watching Nash. There will be compelling late Lakers games on the TNT doubleheaders (unless of course Bogut is phenomenal and Curry explodes (too late)!)

9. clintrichardson

From the Orlando perspective, the deal is amazingly awful. They let go of a player who is perceived to be top-10 in the league, and the best player they get back is.....Aaron Afflalo? Al Harrington? Nik Vucevic? Moe Harkless? Vucevic actually has plenty of potential, but you want a little more than those guys plus a crop of protected firsts. Compare it to what New Orleans received for Chris Paul and this isn't even close.

Who is in the local advertising promos for Orlando—Jameer Nelson? JJ Redick?

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

And on top of all that, Bynum is a player who does not play hard every night and every play. The Philly fans will tire of his act by December 15th. I wonder what the Nets might give the Sixers for Bynum the day after this trade is finalized...?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Howard basically guaranteed that the Magic were never going to get top dollar for him. The whole "Nets or nowhere" crap and refusing to sign an extension with any team just made it impossible for Orlando to get anything of true value in return.

I think the Lakers, Nuggets and Sixers did pretty well for themselves. If I'm not mistaken, all three of those draft picks are lottery-protected, so basically, Orlando is going to suck for the next few years at least...

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't remember the exact details of the deal, but didn't the Nets offer a better package to Orlando? Brook Lopez and a couple unprotected first-round picks or something like that?

Draft saved Draft deleted