1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dwight Howard: God will help Magic beat Lakers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sirvaliantbrown, May 31, 2009.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's what I meant

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Where I come from there's a bias against the non-religious, for one. Also, bias against women, the overweight, the ugly, and the sick are still widely accepted.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The ultimate American acceptable bias will always be poor people.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's exactly right. It's the same way where I'm from, too.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'll accept your middle two, the first & last have been relegated to the fringes. Anyone who expresses the bias is usually given at best an uncomfortable change of subject.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

There clearly is a bias against people who aren't religious. I'm sure there is a politician somewhere who has gotten elected after admitting that he or she doesn't go to church, but I've not heard of an instance. I want the best candidate, whether they are very religious or if they never go to church. I don't care.

7. Guy_Incognito

Oh, I didn't even address that one. I disagree completely.There might be some people who want someone who at least pays lip-service in office, but how much agnostic-bashing do you encounter?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Where do you live, Guy? I grew up in the South, and there is a LOT of direct -- and some indirect -- bashing of those who don't go to church, and also those who don't go to the right church.

You can dismiss it all you want. It's reality where I come from.

9. Guy_Incognito

OK. Not the South, so I'll defer to you. My guess is that it's diminished somewhat since you grew up there, but I honestly can't say for sure.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Heck, in the senate campaign in North Carolina, the Democrat was called "Godless" by the Republicans. This was despite her being an active church member and was because of some sort of fundraiser she attended.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You should probably stick to deferring. I can still go to stores in my old hometown and be asked what church I go to. It's just an automatic assumption that you're religious -- and if you're not, you should be. And you'll get a dirty look from some people if you're seen out on a Sunday morning, and not in church clothes.

Point is, you're completely wrong in your assumption of bias against the strongly religious as being the only "acceptable" one. There are a lot of biases that are still acceptable, and in some parts of the country, it's just as strong against the nonreligious.

12. Guy_Incognito

As I said, I'll defer to that point in the South if you say so, but you say "a lot" and so far have offered 1/2 of a suggestion (though I also conceded fat and ugly to someone else). Anything else?

Draft saved Draft deleted