1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DVR question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Apr 4, 2007.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

OK, not so much a DVR question as it is a DVR remote question.

Just got a new setup here at the dog house. The remote that goes with the new cable box doesn't have the one button I use most -- the 30-second skip forward button (the one that lets you jump past commercials with ease).

So, my question is whether or not I can purchase a universal remote that has such a button for my system. The cable box is a Motorola DCT6416.

I've been searching, but I've really got no idea where to look. Just been using the google. I've found some that might work, I think, but either I can't tell if it has that button or it doesn't tell me whether or not it'll work for my system.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What did the cable company say when you asked about the feature?

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I asked the guy if it had that feature and he said, "Uh, I don't thi ... uh, no."

Honestly, it was almost a deal breaker. Had the guy not spent the last two hours roaming through my attic -- something I'd only do to escape terrorists -- and managed to work it out so I could get movie channels in all four bedrooms, I probably would've had him box it up and leave.

I asked him about the universal remotes, but he said he had no idea in a way that conveyed, "Look, asshole, I just install the shit they give me."

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Try calling the cable company or going in and asking for a new remote

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Dog,

Most universal remotes will have a learning mode (it may not be called that exactly). You point your remote at the new remote, tell the new remote that when you press this button...you want this to happen, and then you press the button on the original.

That's a very simplistic answer, but a learning remote is the way you want to go.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Was just reading something about the learning remote. Appreciate it.

Oh, slappy, the cable company informs me that they have no suggestions, on advice of the legal department. Apparently, what has happened is a bunch of advertisers banded together and threatened a lawsuit if the 30-second skip button wasn't removed. So it was.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Im not surprised...

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have a Tivo. I don't know of a 30-second jump-ahead button. Is that only on like dish DVRs? Or am I retarded?

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've gotten pretty good at working the fast forward button.
    Most shows have bumps when they come back from break and it will hold for two seconds or so, hit play then and I'm fine.

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

IJAG,

Go here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=122090

Lots of fun codes and things. None of them are really necessary, but you might find something of interest to you.

To make your TiVo skip 30 seconds at a time:

Start playing a program you recorded. Point the remote at the unit and press the following keys.

Select Play Select 3 Zero Select.

I have heard that some TiVos will make a sound to confirm and some wont.

Your "Skip to Tick" button (the one with the straight up and down line on it)will now jump the program ahead 30 seconds everytime you press it.

CAVEAT!! I have a Direct TV TiVo. It works with mine and should work with your "real" TiVo.

CAVEAT 2!! If your power goes out or you have to re-boot your machine for any reason, you have to put the code back in again.

We use this instead of fast forward

Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions and Ill be happy to help if I can.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I have TiVo through DirecTV and that code is not in the manual, but that's what you have to do to get the jump ahead 30 seconds. If you just hit the "Skip to Tick" button otherwise, it takes you to the end of the program. Works fine for me. After doing the code, it will give three semi-high-pitched beeping sounds as if to confirm it.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's how to program it for a Motorola DVR:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote#Add_30-Second_Skip

Draft saved Draft deleted