1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DVDs -- where do you get the time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So many of you listed on the Christmas gifts thread that you received this or that DVD boxed set as a gift.
    So as someone who owns not a single DVD but has owned a player for most of this decade, I ask -- where do you people find the time to watch them?
    Between the movies I'll watch for the first time, shows I watch regularly either live or Tivo'd -- maybe a dozen or so -- and the sports I watch for business or pleasure, I couldn't imagine cutting myself loose to watch, say, Season 1 of 24 -- even though I've seen the other seasons beginning to end. And some of you have kids!
    I'm asking seriously -- where do you find the time?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't for a long time, and then I'll take a day and a half and basically watch an entire season of something and never leave my couch except to meet the deliveryman at the door.

Not having kids works wonderfully for this. But I would guess I won't get to any of mine until after March. My DVR also contributes to that, because I'm sure I'll need to watch things on there to keep it from filling up.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

By making Netflix rich. I could have bought the Lost Season 1 DVD twice in the time that it took me to get through the six main DVDs.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm with you, I rarely watch DVDs, but I'll bet if I didn't have my DVR I would.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I watch no other TV and don't usually see first-run movies, especially if I know I'm going to own the DVD shortly anyway.

I rarely just watch DVDs without doing something else, and for movies I've seen before, I just leave them on for background anyway.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Flights, dead time waiting for flights, dead time in places like Cincinnati, baseball rain delays. Having a DVD player on the laptop is huge.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I've stockpiled my DVR with a crapload of movies, some six months old. Most are old classics that aren't yet in my DVD collection. Others have movies I want to see when I have the time.

I've yet to find the time, however.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I get home at 2:30 in the morning. Can't go to sleep until 5-6 a.m. WTF else is there to do?? ::) ::)

After Christmas, I now have Northern Exposure, Seasons 1-5. Season 6 (the final season) will be released on March 7, so if I start now at Episode 1, I ought to finish up Season 5 just about when Season 6 arrives.

In the meantime, I'll get to work on the Rockford Files. ;)

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i've seen a couple articles over the past few years in which they've done studies showing that people generally don't watch the boxed sets. the so-called experts are damned if they can figure out why they sell like hotcakes even though no one really uses them but studios are elated. i'm too lazy to google any of these articles citing the studies but i swear i've read this in more than one place.

11. I own few DVDs. We rent several. We watch them at night after the daughter has gone ti bed.

I know people who have dozens of DVDs. No idea why that's necessary. Dog428 is the king of watching TV series on DVD. I have no idea how he does it -- guy writes a lot.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Let's see ... Mortgage, wife, two kids, two cars, two car payments, two jobs and SportsJournalists.com. Nope, I don't have time for DVDs.

Draft saved Draft deleted