1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DVD disk advice...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I remember there was some discussion about this quite some time ago, but I'm too lazy and too tired to search. ;)

I've been experimenting with transferring video to my computer, using my Panasonic DVD recorder. I've been using Memorex DVD-RW, and it seems that half the time my computer won't recognize the file. (No talk about codecs and that here, that's not the problem.)

So, what brand of disks has anyone had good luck with? I'm going to town tomorrow and want to pick up some more disks and I'm willing to ditch Memorex for something else.

Thanks.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

just check the labels and get the ones that are made in Japan. They're usually the best quality.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Surprised Memorex won't work, but I've used Phillips and HP discs and tey;ve worked fine too.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Well, since I have an HP computer, maybe I'll try HP. Couldn't hurt, right?

5. ARD

ARD Member

I haven't researched this for a while, but IIRC, Taiyo Yuden was considered one of the best (Newegg, among others, sells it). Verbatims used to be rebranded T-Ys, I think, but I'm not sure that's the case any more. But I've stuck with Verbatim anyway (DVD+R and DVD+R DL) and haven't had any problems on multiple burners (two HPs, a Samsung and a Lite-On). I'm on my second 100-pack of Verbatims. :)

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The T-Ys are the top of the line when it comes to blank CDs and I'm fairly certain they're the top of the line with the DVDs as well. They are also the reason I said to check the labels for "Made in Japan" as they are the only manufacturer in Japan.

Draft saved Draft deleted