1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dustin Pedroia wins AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Strip him of his privilege? That's a little overboard ... you work for 'EEI?
    You can definitely make a case for not including Pedroia.
    He voted for Youkilis, his clear-cut choice for MVP, which in his view lessens Pedroia's value.
    Quentin carried the White Sox - he's in. Hamilton was spectacular and was probably the best player in the AL for 3/4 the season. K-Rod saved 60 for the Angels, which is meaningless, but they did close games for the AL West winner. Longoria and Pena were beasts for the best team in the AL East.
    Morneau and Mauer are no brainers. A-Rod didn't have an A-Rod season, but it was still better than most. Cliff Lee dominated the AL all season and Grady Sizemore's numbers would have done much more for the Red Sox than Pedroia's.

Thinking about it rationally, it's almost surprising more people didn't leave Pedroia off.

2. No, it's not.
    It's a disgrace if one person did it.
    Grady Sizemore?
    A-Rod?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is that next to Willie Hernandez?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Top 10? OK, that's different. I was ignorant and thought they voted a top three. Personally, I was hoping Carlos Pena would have gotten more votes.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think Rhody makes a valid point in that, if you vote for Youkilis, Pedroia's season is devalued. If anyone didn't vote for Youkilis and left Pedroia off, it would be a much different story.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Many times, two players having roughly equal seasons for the same team split the vote pool and somebody from another team cops the MVP.
    Glad for Pedroia that didn't happen, though my first place vote would have been for Youkilis. Difference between the two was small enough to place my opinion within the concept of sampling error.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Then how do you put both Mauer & Morneau, and both Pena and Longoria ahead?

8. Dread_Smith

Dread_Smith New Member

Depends ...
    Arizona State (Pedroia, Bonds, Jackson) is the first with three players from the BBWAA MVP voting, which began in the 1930s. If you count the league awards from the 1920s, Michigan also has three: Barry Larkin, Charlie Gehringer and George Sisler.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Little surprised Longoria didn't get a little more love, not that he deserved the award, but thought he'd be a little higher in the standings

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus, Buckweaver, when did you change your handle?

Nice pull FNG.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Easy.
    You pick Youkilis, Morneau and Pena. then you have to have two of three - Mauer, Longoria, Pedroia.
    Again, I'd like to point out that I don't necessarily agree with the thinking, but bostonbred's homerrific call for the writer's voting privilges to be stripped made me realize why, despite being a Boston fan, I hate most Red Sox fans.

EDIT: Here's Grant's reasoning http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/11/evan_grant_on_l.html

Here's his ballot.

Kevin Youkilis
    Francisco Rodriguez
    Justin Morneau
    Josh Hamilton
    Carlos Quentin
    Alex Rodriguez
    Cliff Lee
    Joe Mauer
    Grady Sizemore
    Carlos Pena

So yeah, I pretty much nailed his ballot.
    And I wish I was Evan Grant, because then I would have a halfway decent paycheck.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Yeah, absolutely.

Draft saved Draft deleted