1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dustin Pedroia wins AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Nov 18, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

And deciding which variablkes are more important than others is some sabermetricians arbitrary decision in "stats" like VORP.

You can explain how to calculate batting avergae, on base percentage, slugging percentage, OPS, ERA, WHIP, etc. In about two sentences.
    I just read five freaking paragraphs of gobblydegook and I could read it seven more times and still not be able to tell you how to calculate VORP or what it really measures or produces other than "an estimate."

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't know. I need two Google calculator equations to figure out an ERA. That's a bit much. ;)

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

ERA is a good measure for a starting pitcher. It is not such a good measure for a relief pitcher. The number of inherited runners who score is a better measure of how a relief pitcher does, except for closers who usually start the ninth inning.

Batting Average always has been the most overrated statistic, and On Base Percentage is a great statistic.

A statistic is only as good as the context. Home runs in one park are not equal to home runs in another park. The RBI stat is affected by what other players in the lineup do.

And yes, I do miss baseball. I really like basketball and hockey, but it feels bad not being able to watch the Yankees on YES.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm a little more...progressive regarding baseball statistics, but I have to agree with spnited on this one.

There are far too many subjective adjustments and moving parts in VORP or me to trust it. The more room there is for adjustments, the more likely that there will be flaws in the results.

I'm not scared of it and I'm not automatically dismissive of it. I'm a bit of a stat geek myself, so I like learning about different measures of player performance. I just have some questions about the validity of this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted