1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Durant going pro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Apr 10, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe any team wouldn't need Michael Jordan :) but I understand the point. No one knew how great he'd really become. It's always easier to create a roster 20 years later.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Portland took a risk because of Bowie's past injuries. Obviously, a player's health and conditioning must be factored into the decision-making process. Even so, I doubt they take Jordan because they already had Drexler.

Who else should they have selected? Perkins? Barkley? Looking back now, yeah, it would have been a no-brainer, but both players (especially Barkley) also had questions surrounding them as they entered the draft.

And my apologies for the Tito Horford listing. Guess my brain was stuck in the 80s.

3. boots

boots New Member

When Portland made its pick. Yes it was questioned but it was done out of need. Nearly everyone thought Jordan was going to be a great player but Portland needed a center badly. Bowie was the guy if Olajuwon wasn't there.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

There are any number of reasons why, at the time, Bowie wasn't a terrible pick at all. Kareem was dominating the West and the idea of having a defensive stopper AND a big man who had the range to draw Kareem out of the post was pretty enticing. Throw in that the team had three all-stars in Drexler, Kiki Vandeweigh and Paxson (can't remember his first name). Then, they had Mychal Thompson at the 5 and thought he would thrive when moved to the 4.

Bowie over Jordan looks TERRIBLE now. But if Bowie stayed healthy, that Blazers team could have been nasty.

That said, give me Oden. The way he played in the Final Four was enough to prove that to me. To think he was that dominating defensively (and offensively, for the most part) for most of the national title game as a 19 year old is flat out scary to me.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

It sounds funny, but the team that winds up with the No. 2 pick -- if Oden comes out -- might be better off. At least the pressure won't be nearly as high to make the correct choice. Just take the other guy; the decision's already made.

Both are going to be perennial All-Stars before it's all said and done, too, so I guess you could call that a win-win situation.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

And he shows up for his presser wearing a practice jersey.

7. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Is jeff green official yet? Had missed that. Think it's a mistake. He and Hibbert should stay, win a title, and then both would be drafted higher (if that's possible) a year from now.

Underplayed story of the year - that Phoenix could get the No.4 pick in the draft. Hawks haven't tanked enough, and their pick is only Top 3 protected.

Also, due to cap issues, some think the Suns would deal Marion and the 4 (or 5 or whatever) pick to get Durant. Will Atlanta's Billy Knight make it out of the city alive if any of this happens?

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Glen Davis held a joint press conference with Tyrus Thomas last year, to say he was staying at LSU for one more year. Of course, Thomas was there to say he was bolting...

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If Green goes to the NBA I'd have a hard time faulting him. He's legit. If Hibbert goes to the NBA, I'll laugh every time I see that poor man's Shawn Bradley out there.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just curious, does anyone remember how Phoenix got that pick. Kind of scary to think they could get that much better in a hurry.

11. I still say Durant over Oden. First of all, until you see Durant up close, you don't appreciate how much better he is going to get. The kid is incredibly skinny and people still can't stop him. Just think when he bulks up and is able to add power moves to his game.
    Also, I think Oden will be a fine center. I just think Durant can revolutionize his position. With his height and talent, he can be a shooting guard that very few can matchup with.
    I'd be happy with either one, but I really think it will become clear over the years that Durant is the cream of this crop.

12. boots

boots New Member

You're right. I didn't notice how thin he was until this morning. He's not George Gervin thin. More like Moses Malone thin. You can see where he's going to bulk up.

Draft saved Draft deleted