1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Durant going pro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

According to the Dallas Morning News ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AjNYtTGhUrcSQ29FKRmZqWM5nYcB?slug=durantnba&prov=st&type=lgns

... Press conference at 4 p.m. today, which is always the dead giveway. I don't think a player's ever held a press conference to say they're staying. At least I can't ever remember one.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

This has been on the internets a couple hours now. I'm surprised it took so long for a thread. Nice work, Oz. :D

Well, I'm praying the ping-pong balls bounce the Bucks' way one more time.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Damn. And to think I had just noticed it now. :-\

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Obviously Durant and (in all likelihood) Oden make this year's draft interesting at the top, but I think this could be one of the more loaded NBA drafts in quite a while.

5. boots

boots New Member

I think Durant's number one but somebody is going to take a chance on an old-looking guy who plays center for The Ohio State University if he decides to come out.

6. Freelance Hack

I'm still of the belief that a solid center is more valuable than a great forward or guard. This could be like 1984 with Olajuwon and Jordan, though it would be entirely unfair to either Oden or Durant to compare these players to those all-time greats. I'm just comparing the situation.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sums up how I feel about this draft. Seems like a class simply loaded with talent.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny how your second statement kind of contradicts your first in a sense ... obviously in that draft, Jordan was better then Olajuwon, although both were great players (one just happened to possibly be the best ever). But it's also that kind of logic which probably caused Portland to take Sam Bowie No. 2.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nevermind that the Blazers had a HOF shooting guard with Clyde Drexler already there. Seems like Drexler did OK, leading the Blazers to two NBA Finals appearances.

10. Freelance Hack

Yeah, if you miss out on either player, you could still end up with Al Hortford, Joakim Noah, Jeff Green or Roy Hibbert.

11. boots

boots New Member

Portland needed a center at the time. You couldn't argue with the logic however, Bowie was damaged goods before ever becoming a pro. It was a risk.
    At the same time, the Blazers had a guy named Drexler and really didn't need Jordan.

12. boots

boots New Member

Kind of hard to end up with Tito. He's been out of basketball for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted