1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Durant Durant Rant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 3, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If it were in the best interests of NBA teams to draft four-year college players, they would do it. It isn't, so they don't.

2. MavRick

MavRick Member

finally. a topic other than whitlocks that i feel qualified to speak on. however, im squarely in the middle of the argument :-[

i like the age limit, for the simple fact that it exposes alot of the would-be lottos that would otherwise have jumped. people like thad young, derrick character, paul harris......theyve all been shown to not be the world beaters that they were thought to be outta HS. i dont think that the NBA should be on-the-job training. many of you may get in on a press pass, but i have to pay. and if im paying, i want the best players on the court. not some project taking the place of a vet who could contribute right now....

i dont like the age limit because it discriminates against those who could make an impact. durant is ready to play in the league. oden is ready to play in the league. (and about oden, dont give me his stats at OSU. he would be the 2nd best defensive center in the league and not having to face zones and all of the trick gimmicktry that pervades college ball.) so maybe its "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" situation. but its not fair to the players or the coaches to have to have a kid suit up, that has no plans on being there, and having a piece that messes up recruiting, simply because GMs cant say no...

and the GMs are hamstrung. no one wants to miss the next BIG THING. so you get sebastian telfair as a lottery pick. or saer sene. or....well you get my drift. but then again, staying 4 yrs doesnt guarantee anything either. someone mentioned shelden williams. he's the biggest bust of last years draft. he's averaging 5 and 5. and over the last 4, he has totalled 2 pts and 4 boards. so its an inexact science.

so in conclusion, i dont have any conclusions. i have played both sides of the fence. sue me. im not a sports journalist. just a rabid college basketball fan (GO HEELS!!!!) and tepid pro fan. i will say that the influx of not-ready-for-primetime talent into the league has ruined it. so i guess thats a stance, huh???

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

College basketball is the greatest public relations tool the NBA has ever had. No one would care about the NBA draft this year if Durant and Oden came out last year. No one would have even cared about last year's draft either with the two of them because only a few people even knew about them outside of certain circles. Now, everyone is excited. Two years of college ball seems like happy medium or two years removed from your high school graduating class.

Why should these kids stay in school and why should NBA teams avoid the HS kid?

Other than Moses (who was on a loaded Sixer team) has their ever been a HS kid win a title? When I mean win a title, I mean that they are the #1 option on the team. Kobe does not count. It's obvious that Shaq was the driving force for those titles.

So many of the HS kids put up nice numbers (TMac, Kevin G., Kobe) but they just do not win in May and June. You could also say that for a lot of the one-and-done kids. I just don't have the time right now to think about who has done well and who was not (Starbury just keeps coming to mind, though).

Draft saved Draft deleted