1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Durango, Colo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KUjhawk02, Nov 12, 2009.

1. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

From jjobs.com:

Company: Durango Herald
    Position: Sports Reporter for SW CO Daily.
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: December 10, 2009
    Job ID: 995314

Description:
    The Durango Herald, a family-owned seven-day morning newspaper in Southwest Colorado, is seeking a full-time sports writer/sports copy editor for a three-person staff. Position includes coverage and feature reporting on high school sports, community sports and college sports. Position also includes copy desk/layout shifts each week. Experience with Quark or InDesign preferred.

The Herald offers competitive pay and benefits, a friendly work environment, and a tradition of journalistic excellence. The Herald is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Send a cover letter with wage requirement, resume, writing samples and layout samples to SPORTS EDITOR, The Durango Herald, P.O. Drawer A, Durango, CO 81301. Or, e-mail: aaron@durangoherald.com.

2. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Pretty area. The local college is known as the pothead school of the state, which considering CU is in Boulder, is a pretty heavy honor (dishonor?). So, um, there's always that.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

This hybrid job sounds interesting, even for a big-paper guy. I wonder if it's meant for a 24-year-old or would be available for someone ;) looking to return to community-based journalism.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Know the area quite well so feel free to PM with questions.

5. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket New Member

Any idea what their likely salary range is? What's the cost of living in the area?

6. MileHigh

COL is a tad high because of the location. You're a bit remote down there, and Durango is getting more Aspenized/Tellurideized, but it's not in either of those areas, but it's manageable.

Paper isn't big so I wouldn't expect monster pay.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It was under $30k from what I've heard.

8. This would be my dream job ... if I didn't have to take a dramatic salary reduction.

9. RicketyCricket

Any word on interviews/call-backs for this one?

10. RicketyCricket

And please WildBillyCrazyCat, don't be bashful. You can veil your bragging even thinner. Don't sell yourself short to possible applicants.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Awesome area. I take a few trips every winter snowmobiling/snowboarding. But yeah, CO is very expensive IMO.

12. MileHigh

Depends where you live. Certainly, more expensive in the mountains. Not along the Front Range. Though, this is nowhere near the Front Range.

Draft saved Draft deleted