1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duped by a Canuckistani. Silly athletes.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Stories like that make me wonder how often quotes are wrongly attributed, particularly on road games by reporters not familiar with the athletes. NHL visiting locker rooms are particularly chaotic, in my experience. It's even worse when the team is playing another road game the next day.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I wondered aloud about that very thing one day standing next to Pat Forde (below).

[​IMG]

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He played the roll well, huh?

4. maberger

maberger Member

oooh...copy editing violence.

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I think I may have told the story here before, but a news-side colleague went to cover a charity golf benefit once. She came back with a photo and a story with a main source Gregory Norman, along with friends Ernie Els, Dave Duval, etc. Good thing I knew the guys who pulled the prank on her.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

On a preps scale, a coach had me completely convinced that one of his ace pitcher was deaf. We had a feature on him ready to go.

I can laugh about it now, but I felt like such a dumbass. I was focused on the kid's teamate, a D-I prospect through the whole game. And on the pitches the kid through, not the kid himself. Whoops.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

At the world junior hockey championships an over-matched campus reporter (UND) asked Brian Lee about a game in excruciating detail even though he only took the ice in the warm-up, glued to bench throughout. Lee waited him out, even the question of what he has to do better the rest of the tournament.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted