1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dungy on The Tonight Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Aug 21, 2007.

1. trounced

trounced Active Member

I think Cowher is a Hall of Famer. He's coached at a very high level for a long time.

I don't subscribe to the argument, but many people argue that Gruden just had to put the final touches on the team that Dungy built. Gruden's a little bit more of a flash-in-the-pan at this point, although he's still quite young. I think Dungy's consistency separates him from Gruden at this point.

One of the the things that is remarkable about Dungy is that he has 10+ wins in eight of his 11 seasons. He also has a nine-win season.

As for the guys mentioned previously, Seifert is a really tough case. He obviously gets discredited by many because he followed Walsh. He had a career record of 114-62 (identically matches Dungy's career record to this point), although he had more success in the playoffs than Dungy. His 1-15 record to close out his career, as well as never producing a winning record in his three seasons in Carolina doesn't help his case.

Jimmy Johnson was 80-64 and 9-4 in the postseason. His record is hampered by the 1-15 start with Dallas. I just don't think he coached long enough, although as soon as I say that I think he coached almost the same number of games as Bill Walsh.

I think the record is still out on Shanahan and Holmgren. I think parity in today's NFL is going to make it very difficult for any head coach to have sterling credentials in tems of wins and losses.

Tom Flores finished his career with four consecutive losing seasons. Vermeil didn't have near the consistency of Dungy.

I think Don Coryell should be in the Hall of Fame for his contributions to the game.

I was actually in the Dungy doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame at this point. After taking a closer look, maybe he does belong. He's at least pretty close.

Draft saved Draft deleted