1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dungy/Belichick photo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by flopflipper, Nov 5, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The late George Young apparently once called Bill Belichick the "worst person I've ever met."

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He's one of the best football coach of all time, has five rings (3 as HC), and his players are fiercely loyal towards him.

I'd take that legacy over being the nice guy who wins squat. Who wouldn't?

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Depends. Will those players rally to his sickbed, when he's old and feeble? Because it sounds like they might be the only ones left who would...

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Easy there, fanboy. I wasn't saying I wouldn't want a coach who brings in the rings. I once rooted for a miserable bastard in Bill Parcells (I do not root for the current miserable bastard coaching the Giants. I don't care what he does as a coach, I can't root for Tom Coughlin, he's too much of a prick. I'd like to see him fired ASAP).

I'm just saying that it's telling that Young, widely respected in the NFL (they named the Executive of the Year Award after him), said he's the worst person he's ever met and he wasn't talking about the fact that Belichick is grumpy in press conferences.

Defend him all you want as the coach of your favorite team, but Belichick is a scumbag. There's no way around that.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Oh, I'll agree that he's a scumbug asshole grumpy prick. I never said he wasn't, but I think that's all irrelevant. He lives and breathes football and is the best at his craft. Who really cares about his personality?

As far as his sickbed goes, that's a strong statement for not even knowing the guy. I know he has helped groom and is close with a number of fine football coaches, including Urban Meyer, Kirk Ferentz, Nick Saban, and Greg Schiano, four of the best in the college game.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, it seems a lot of people care about Coach Hoodie's personality. And some, on this very thread, seem to think it is necessary to justify it by the difficulties he has had in his life.

7. "Sorry, Bill, your kids can't make it. but Kirk Ferentz dropped by to say goodbye"

That's a worse deathbed scene than Scrooge's.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dungy wins and without being a miserable person.

Oops, I shouldn't confuse the fanboy with facts.

9. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

No argument, Dungy is a wonderful human being and Belichick is a dick.

But I wouldn't want Dungy coaching the Pats because dick-boy is a better coach.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

End. Of. Thread.

Full Of Shit gets the last word.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Sorry, he's, well, full of shit.

You don't have to sell out and be a dick to be successful. Dungy and his Super Bowl ring prove that.

But if you enjoy hitching your wagon to a bitter, cheating SOB, go for it. If winning is that important to you, well, I'm sorry your friends and family have to put up with that mindset.

12. Whoa.
    First of all, as near as I can tell, the SB ring count is 3-1 in favor of The Miserable Dickhead over The Judgmental Christian Dickhead. Hard to make TJCD out the winner there. I don't care if Bill Belichick doesn't like sports journalists. Tony Dungy doesn't like people simply because of who (and how) they fuck, and he brings god into the matter besides. Forgive me if I'm not impressed.
    And the notion that preferring Belichick to Dungy means that someone is prima facie difficult to live with strikes me as a bit over the top.

Draft saved Draft deleted