1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dunce.com . .excuse me, reason.com columnist rips newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://reason.com/news/show/130948.html

Now, I'm assuming this is a site the sane should never even find. But it was linked to by a blog I currently frequent.

Reaction?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why didn't you like it?

3. Reacher

Reacher Member

I'm not always a big Reason fan, but that column makes some sense.

4. trench

trench Member

Some good lines in there but he lost me when he suggested we all pulled 6 figures back in the day. If he had shoveled it at my shop for 14 years like I did and never sniffed anything close to that, he'd have written that a bit differently.

5. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Bitter, mostly true, but bitter.

Yes, our industry's in the crapper. Yes, we're mostly to blame. Hell, we cover these points at SportsJournalists.com three times a week on average. Anyone know how to make money off the Internet yet?

7. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I can't get through all of the generalizations to take it seriously.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Six figures? Well, if you include the two to the right of the decimal point ...

9. Not sure what his solution is. He makes fun of newspapers for talking about charging for content, but doesn't seem to offer up anything better except to vaguely suggest that newspapers owe the world free content.

Also, what Nate Silver does and what newspapers do is completely different. Nate's a stat geek. A damned good one, and a valuable one for politicos and fantasy baseball players alike, but a stat geek all the same. Newspapers and television reported on events; voters reacted; pollsters gathered data; Nate analyzed it.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'll say this for Matt Welch: Whatever you think of his opinion, he's one shitty writer.

I guess he thinks he's witty with his lame asides, parenthetical and otherwise.

Can I have those three minutes back?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I agree with Matt Welch that our democracy is in danger without newspapers (or at least the news apparatus with their imprimateur). I'm guessing that's not what he wanted me to agree with.

Draft saved Draft deleted