1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dumping cable for dish

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 18, 2010.

1. I had DTV and sunday ticket for about 7 years before I ditched it and went to Fios. Honestly, I loved, loved, loved it, although I am sure there are going to be more than a few who tell you their service went out when the wind blew more than 5 MPH. Personally, I only lost service during thunderstorms, and it was only out when the bad part of the cell was right over top of you. Never went out when windy (and I live in a tree-heavy area) and never went out when it rained or snowed. Only during storms.

Back to my point about the internet, i know in many areas they are offering a bundle with Verizon for their internet and phone . . . direcTV supplies the TV service. It is worth checking out, because it is my understanding they are doing ST for abotu 10 bucks a month and they have rolled superfan into the ST package for free. That used to be 100 bucks extra, so its a good deal.

Now, for the bad. I went to Verizon for the price and actually really liked it. One thing I noticed right away was Verizon's on demand service was fantastic. Pretty much everything was on demand. When I left DTV a couple of years ago, they pretty much didn't offer anything in the way of free on demand. Someone please correct me if it has changed. Either way, comcast and Verizon on demand were fantastic, DTV and dish, not much.

I always foung DTV a bit pricy . . . I saved a bunch of money going to Verizon (99 bundle for fios internet, great TV and phone), and am swithcing to Comcast this week (89 bucks a month for everything in HD, showtime, HBO and starz free for a year, red zone channel for free along with phoen and hi speed internet) I seem to recvall my direcTV bill for TV only was about 130 a month, and I really wasn't getting any premium channels. That obviously changes when you sign up for anew deal.

Anyway, that's my experience with DTV. I loved it and the customer service was great. I just got more from the other placxes, but until I got my slingbox set up, really hated not being able to see the Steelers on Sunday Ticket. ST is far and away the best package on TV.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Love DirecTV, have been with them since 1997... would never, ever go back to cable.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sure it has changed in 10 years, but I had Dish Network at one point. Hated it. We lived out in the country in an apartment, and literally, we'd lose reception every month. We'd call up the Dish Network people to fix it, and it would always be 10 days to two weeks before they would come out. Meanwhile, we would have to go without TV for two weeks, and Dish Network never would give us any refunds. Terrible.

We switched back to cable when we bought our house, and we've always had it. The price was about the same per month, either way. We ended up giving the dish to some friends of ours who lived out in the country and didn't have cable or a dish.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love my UVerse. I get to record four things at once. Life saver.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

PPB, DirecTV does have on demand.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

DirectTV can eat shit and die.

Before we moved, we had it on the farm (I know, I know). After about a month, the system would go out at 11 and 3 like clockwork. They could never figure it out. The system would stay up in a downpour or a snowstorm, but during a drizzle forget it.

We moved in December and a guy came out to take everything apart and away. We moved into the local town where we could get cable, got it and lived happily ever after until June.

DirectTV started calling and wanted to know why we weren't paying our bill. My dad politely told them that we didn't live there anymore and we disconnected the service. They told us that we never did, we owed them nearly two hundred bucks and the were coming for their equipment.

After a while, dad said sure but didn't pay it. I'm sure they got a nice surprise when they went out to the old house -- only to find a nice Mennonite family living there.

According to Dr. J they sent him bills up until the time of his death. This thread has me all pissed off again. I think I'll call my mom tomorrow to see if they're still sending anything. If they are, I'll send them a copy of his obit.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Have had Dish Network for about four years. Love it. Wouldn't go back to the cable company. They're evil. I lose my signal when a big storm moves in but the DVR still works and signal returns as soon as the storm clears. And I've gotten additional channels without a price increase since I got the thing.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why would DirecTV come disconnect your stuff? They send boxes for the receivers and that's it. As for the people who look for a deal, you can always switch every year or two, but I like what DirecTV has to offer.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Just switched to DirecTV from Dish Network. Honestly, I had no complaints with Dish, other than no MLB Network, it's just that it becomes advantageous to switch from one to the other after two years or so when your bill goes up.

One thing I did like about Dish as opposed to DirecTV is that I only needed one box with Dish and it served as a DVR on all of the TV's we had hooked up. With DirecTV, you need a different box for each TV. So right now, I only have DVR on my flat-screen.

On the other hand, DirecTV's DVR allows you record a show on one channel while you watch another show on another channel, something Dish's DVR did not allow me to do.

Also, DirecTV does not carry local channels in my market, but they were very helpful in getting channels out of NYC for a nominal fee.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Switched to DirecTV when we moved away from Pittsburgh because I wanted NFL Ticket. We had a bunch of problems that first year, and each time they did something to make up for it (free Showtime or whatever). Since then, very few problems. The only issue I have is that we seem to lose our DirecTV to bad weather more easily than we would lose our cable signal.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

DirecTV fixed the multiple-room DVR problem. You can either have one DVR that network with all the standard receivers in the house, or have multiple DVRs so you can watch whatever is recored on one anywhere in the house.

The only downside for me is the local FOX is missing, but the station owner seems to be the problem since he got into a spat with one of the big cable companies in my state last year. I can get FOX over-the-air at least.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I actually switched over to Dish this week. $30 bucks a month for the first 12 months and that comes with a DVR. After that it goes up to $44. Free install and all that crap.

DirecTV just got cocky. I was paying $70 a month for five years and when I called to tell them I was moving, they really didn't act like they cared. I'd never gotten any upgrades free or anything. I asked, then I bitched, then I asked for supervisor. None of it did any good.

Screw up. You can't beat $30 (with free HBO and Showtime for 3 months). The only thing I'll miss is Dan Patrick.

Draft saved Draft deleted